2011 gamma ray shield patent by Widom and Larsen

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

2011 gamma ray shield patent by Widom and Larsen

Post by DeltaV »

There's been some discussion here in the past about gamma ray emission by a p-11B Polywell, if it occurs at all, and how to shield against it if it does occur.

A key issue for flying machines, due to the weight of traditional lead shields. Not so much of an issue for ground-based reactors.

Here's a patent by Widom and Larsen, of LENR theory fame, for a new type of gamma shield:
US 7,893,414 - Feb. 22, 2011
Apparatus and Method for Absorption of Incident Gamma Radiation and its Conversion to Outgoing Radiation at Less Penetrating, Lower Energies and Frequencies

wacker.popeln

it will radiate

Post by wacker.popeln »

polywells will radiate gamma and xray

simply because electrosn will be destroyed.

as my invention of electronless fissile material that needs to eliminate electrosn to elimante 40 percent of hte radiation

poylwells will destroy electrons and that will radiate gamma or xray
simply becasue there is

bremsstrahlung

how much ist hte question. how many electrons get destructed?

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

I've never heard of any electrons being destroyed.
Carter

wacker.popeln

hmm

Post by wacker.popeln »

either hte nuclei catch the electrons in the way
or some electrons collide themselves in the cloud.

-thesis: The bigger the cloud the stronger the fields the more this will happen, and the more nuclei fuse.

and be it helium hitting some in the cloud in the way.

its abold guess. but i think this babe is dirty. how much. is the question

DeltaV

Re: it will radiate

Post by DeltaV »

wacker.popeln wrote:polywells will radiate gamma and xray
Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm eager to see your simulation code. Perhaps you've found another way to capture and explore the essence of Polywell behavior via computer simulation.

Happyjack27 did very well, using GPU code (Cuda). Is that similar to what you're doing?

Speaking for myself, intuition fails when it comes to a complex, nonlinear, electro-magneto-plasmadynamic system like Polywell. Complex in behavior perhaps, not so much in design/construction. Far simpler systems are still capable of infinitely complex behavior.

Only well-done simulations in agreement with experimental data will settle it for me.

Or, just the experimental data. Fat chance of seeing that near term. Hence simulations.

So, what did you use?