Time to build an electron injector by myself

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

BenTC wrote: I expect the Red electrons will work better.
Commie pinko! :P

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Some like 'em hot. (well red is hotter than blue according to human perception.)
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Still not sure about using a Halogen lamp. Halogen works because it redeposits tungsten back on the electrode as it boils off. That's not gonna happen if you remove the glass and gas, so you'll be cooking away your filament constantly. If you have to replace it, what do you have to gain by using the bulb to begin with?

Better would be to have your choice of 3 guns and replace the filament with something that gives less energy and more current. The Sony has about twice the energy you need. So if you just put in a lighter filament, won't you get lower energy and higher current? Just saying, if you're gonna burn it away constantly, you'll have to replace it either way. . .

And three guns with three focusing anodes. . .could be a really good thing to avoid operational interruptions..
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

okay so talked to my boss.

-may have 1k of funding, if im lucky.
-have caps and can use them
-have vac pump and can use them
-need to write up plan
-etc etc.

I was reading the Aus set up, they just used a Cathode ray, if i can find a cathode ray that has beam current of 10mA, i think i will just use that. Still dont know how im gonna inject ions into the system, i mean i guess i could use a alpha source like Americanium, that's not enough is it?
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

MSimon wrote:
Robthebob wrote:
MSimon wrote:CRTs are in the 10 mA range.
Apparently that's good enough. I may go smash up a CRT TV and get one sometime. since these are already focused, that's my job done for me.
Not so simple. You will get 3 electron guns. Color. And they are designed to be magnetically focused. And you have to cool the coils in a vacuum.

I'd go with the halogen lamps. They will scale better even if the initial work is harder.
In that case a B/W TV or computer moniter might be simplier. I'm guessing the focusing electromagnets must be outside the picture tube, if cooling is a concern. That could be handled by attaching the throat of the TV electron gun tubes to the shell of the vacuum vessle and fire the electrons through a port. Then all you have to figure out is how to mount the sawed off tubes with a good vacuum seal. Lots of JB Weld epoxy might do it if you can tolorate the outgasing issues.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Robthebob wrote: Still dont know how im gonna inject ions into the system, i mean i guess i could use a alpha source like Americanium, that's not enough is it?
Puff gas! Just let a small puff of D into the chamber and let the electrons ionize it. That is what Dr. B. did. I think his puff was released within the MaGrid.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

How big is your chamber?

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

GIThruster wrote:Still not sure about using a Halogen lamp. Halogen works because it redeposits tungsten back on the electrode as it boils off. That's not gonna happen if you remove the glass and gas, so you'll be cooking away your filament constantly. If you have to replace it, what do you have to gain by using the bulb to begin with?
For illumination the filament needs to be run white HOT. For electron injection I suspect you could run the filament only red hot, for a much longer life. In either case the expected filament life would greatly exceed the run time for an experiment.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Robthebob wrote:okay so talked to my boss.

-may have 1k of funding, if im lucky.
-have caps and can use them
-have vac pump and can use them
-need to write up plan
-etc etc.

I was reading the Aus set up, they just used a Cathode ray, if i can find a cathode ray that has beam current of 10mA, i think i will just use that. Still dont know how im gonna inject ions into the system, i mean i guess i could use a alpha source like Americanium, that's not enough is it?
Why not do what Famulis did to raise money. I can put you in touch with him. I know he will want to help.

Get my email off the sidebar of any of my blogspot blogs. Just type in M Simon in your search engine. I should be tops or near it. Or send me a PM.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

If you have to replace it, what do you have to gain by using the bulb to begin with?
Low material cost and abundant replacements.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

interesting, obviously, this is at the most earliest phase, but yeah, if i can get in touch with Famulis, that would be great. i mean if I have someone to discuss this one on one, this would be great.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Famulus is also talking to the Australians. Closed loop for you.

Solo

Post by Solo »

In terms of getting funding and/or the support of your boss/PI, try to do some research/headscratching/talking to ppl & find out a research question you can reasonably pursue. Yes it's cool just to have a fusor or a demo polywell, but it'll help if you can say "If you give me money, I can test XYZ aspect of this concept, which nobody has done before (to my knowledge)." This is why I was asking you what your goal was. Maybe this forum is a good place to do some brainstorming on this line of thought; hit up Marc (the Prometheus guy) and the Auzzies too.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Solo wrote:This is why I was asking you what your goal was. Maybe this forum is a good place to do some brainstorming on this line of thought; hit up Marc (the Prometheus guy) and the Auzzies too.
Which is also why I asked how big your chamber is.

I am interested in supporting collage level work to test out certain magnet configurations, but I want the scale to be on par with WB6 or bigger. I am not suggesting recreating WB 7 per se, but I think it might be possible to make some fairly simple cyro-magnets in certain shapes that would answer a LOT of questions.

Interested?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
Solo wrote:This is why I was asking you what your goal was. Maybe this forum is a good place to do some brainstorming on this line of thought; hit up Marc (the Prometheus guy) and the Auzzies too.
Which is also why I asked how big your chamber is.

I am interested in supporting collage level work to test out certain magnet configurations, but I want the scale to be on par with WB6 or bigger. I am not suggesting recreating WB 7 per se, but I think it might be possible to make some fairly simple cyro-magnets in certain shapes that would answer a LOT of questions.

Interested?
U Wisconsin is the place.