3 contracts, is the ion gun for WB-7

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Roger

3 contracts, is the ion gun for WB-7

Post by Roger »

Aero and I had a go 'round about this. What do you think?
I thought the ion gun and "instrumentation" are for WB-7. Aero thought not.
There is a certain value to comparing apples to apples, sticking to the truncube. And thats a good reason to leave the dodec alone, if we have to go to the dodec then polywell is in trouble.

Lets change one thing at a time......

SO we build WB-7, and if we build WB-7x, (LN2 cooled, the CONVINCER) and it has 307mm coils... then its easier to compare results to WB-7.

SO we built WB-7, and now we add an ion gun, and some instruments to better measure "things". OK... now whats the difference in results? Lets say a 11% increase in efficiency ..... and because we only changed one thing, the ion gun, we can assume the 11% increase in efficiency came as a result of the ion gun. And those "things" that get measured might be BB:BG neutrons?

I'm guessing yes, the ion gun is for WB-7, and maybe DR Nebel is on his way to measuring where those neutrons came from, BB or BG? I see the work of WB-7 as yet finished.... Maybe I'm wrong.....

Is the Ion gun to be used on WB-7, and just what the heck is Nebel doing? Maybe Dr Nebel has a tweak of WB-7 in mind......
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

drmike

Post by drmike »

The instrumentation is for plasma density in more places. The ion gun can be a part of that because it is a probe for magnetic fields as well as useful for estimating density and double checking cross sections of various interactions. It's a nice tool to have in your belt, and they are lucky to be getting funding for it. It's just a way to get a better idea of what is going on everywhere in the volume. I don't think it has anything to do with making things work better (other than through better understanding).