Net energy question

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

bcglorf

Not quite.

Post by bcglorf »

rogerlam wrote:OK, I've just concluded that the alpha's must come into contact with the positively charged plates and rob electrons of them to produce DC. Am I right?
As MSimon said, it's more like a linear accelerator in reverse. Instead of doing work to push alphas, the alphas push and you get work(DC) out.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

That's correct rogerlam, you get power in the form of an electron current from the MA-Grid ("only" point where the electrons can escape) to the collector plates.

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

pop quiz !

The highest energy reaction product for p+B11 is a 3.76Mev alpha particle.

Does this mean the positively charged grid would have to be near +3.76 million volts to successfully extract its energy ?

If so, this would definitely interfere with other facets of the machine.
Purity is Power

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Does this mean the positively charged grid would have to be near +3.76 million volts to successfully extract its energy ?

I was just thinking the same thing. Tom Ligon writes about this somewhat in "World's Easiest Fusion Reactor" but how do you have a 3 megavolt field in your chamber that doesn't interfere with the fusion fuel & electrons?

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

Skimming through the literature i did find one reference to direct power conversion (Bussard-FusionTechnology-Mar1991.pdf). More a concept than a technical drawing, it mentions a grid with a 1Mev positive bias. Its gonna reak havoc with electron injection/recirculation. One could place the grid far enough away so its effect would be negligible, but would make the machine excessively large and would put more stress on the vacuum system.

*Scratchy SSB transmission* Er, Houston.... We have a problem.

Purity is Power

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

t mentions a grid with a 1Mev positive bias
Since the alpha has a charge of +2 you "only" need a 1.5 MV bias, not 3 MV.
This diagram you have, looks like the 1 MV field is a continuation of the electric field that's already there. But you need a + center to accelerate the electrons, right?

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

Hi John,

p + B11 -> He 2.46Mev + He 2.46Mev + He 3.76Mev

and yes a positive center is need to accelerate the electrons. Some fantastic modeling can be found here courtesy of Indrek
Purity is Power

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

My guess is that you can use the same setup you'd use anyway, but
around the faraday cage you put the extraction grid.
There'd need to be quiet some distance between them or there'd be paschen discharge.
On the inside of the faraday cage the E-fields wouldn't be affected.

The faraday cage is usually biased to ground.
What's important is, that it's slightly below electron gun voltage, so the electrons (which are supposed to be recirculating) can't escape to the vacuum chamber wall or in this case to the extraction grid (this would mean huge energy losses).

Because of their speed most alphas should be able to pass the cage although they are attracted by it.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Because of their speed most alphas should be able to pass the cage although they are attracted by it.
sound familiar?

What's going to happen to the cage when you're running a 100 MW reactor. The cage will disintegrate.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The way to handle this is:

Outer shell - grounded
Decelerator grid - +1.7 MV (roughly)
Potential "equalization" grid - grounded
Accelerator (mag shielded grid) - +50 to +200 KV (depending)

Electron guns will be located in the "equalization" grid area.

Good question Keegan. Stumped me too for a while.

Getting all this to work of course is going to be tricky. Lots of tough engineering problems.

Simon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Keegan wrote:pop quiz !

The highest energy reaction product for p+B11 is a 3.76Mev alpha particle.

Alphas are +2. So divide by 2 to get the grid voltage (minus a little to make up for actual particle speed distribution. Around 1.9 MV nominal. Probably 1.6 to 1.85 MV in a real machine.

Roger

Re: depends on what you mean by exact

Post by Roger »

bcglorf wrote: break even device would be 1.5-2m for 100MW output.
IIRC,

P-B11 100MW net power=3m
P-B11 break even =2m
D_D 100MW net power=2m
D-D break even=1.5m
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Outer shell - grounded
I'm not seeing it. What I see is some fraction of the 3 MeV alphas hitting the equalization grid and frying it.

Maybe I'm thick here, but isn't this the same particles-hit-grid problem that EMC2 solved for electrons, come back to haunt us in the guise of alphas?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

This is a inverse linear accelerator.

The decelerator grids can be shielded by the shadow of the magnetic grids.

There is still the problem of where to put the e-guns.

If you look at the e-guns for a color cathode ray tube it becomes more obvious. The accelerator/focusing grids are cylinders.

drmike

Post by drmike »

JohnP wrote:
Outer shell - grounded
I'm not seeing it. What I see is some fraction of the 3 MeV alphas hitting the equalization grid and frying it.

Maybe I'm thick here, but isn't this the same particles-hit-grid problem that EMC2 solved for electrons, come back to haunt us in the guise of alphas?
Yes and no. Yes some fraction will hit and no it is not a problem. With electrons, the total number of particles is many orders of magnitude higher, so the same fraction becomes a mechanical heat load.

It's like my kids example of thermo - what has more energy, a bathtub full of luke warm water or a tea cup with boiling water? If you stick your finger in one nothing happens, but it burns off in the other. But because the bathtub is so much larger, it has more total energy.

Same thing with electron current vs ion current. Yes, each ion has a lot more energy, but the total number is a lot less. Sucking the energy out before any damage happens is an engineering problem.