Power costs to run the electromagnets

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Post by Aero »

TallDave:
Consider the Diesel engine. As long as it gets fuel at the right time it will run. It needs fuel and timing, nothing else. It stops without fuel, and without timing, well I guess that would be like having fuel in the cylinders all the time. There'd be some serious knocking going on.
Aero

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

choff wrote:Probably if WB100 ever gets funded we'll hear people saying it's going to produce black holes and stranglets that swallow the world.
Hey, I'm enjoying the doomsday talk. Any project that has even a slight danger of strange nuggets destroying the earth gets my vote.

choff

Post by choff »

Actually, today I found out a 10 year old girl in India was so frightened about it she killed herself, and Indian villagers have been praying in temples for fear the world would end. Not fun anymore for me.
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

choff wrote:Actually, today I found out a 10 year old girl in India was so frightened about it she killed herself, and Indian villagers have been praying in temples for fear the world would end. Not fun anymore for me.
We need to teach courage. If the world is going to go I want to be there to watch it happen.

Sad about the girl though.

Isn't it strange that she would fear death so much that she would kill herself. Darwin in action.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

choff

Post by choff »

Yeah, I was in a funk the whole day over the story. I remember when I was a kid in the sixties being scared for a week about the great California earthquake that was supposed to take out the west coast.

Anyway, one thing I got on to about a month or two ago before getting distracted, another possible way for the wiffle ball to form. I was thinking the corners could end up becoming electrostatically plugged, electrons entering the corners would be repelled by the ones already there. The faces and corners would then push electrons into the center, until the charge in the center started pushing back against the faces and corners in turn.

Another possibility is that before you even add electrons and ions to the machine, if the magnetic fields are large enough in relation to the magrid size the opposing poles would flatten each other out into the desired shape.

Then we have our klystron beam shaped plasma, or pops plasma, I also heard someone mention pulsing the magnets to make the plasma spin. At least 5 different ways the machine could be configured.

I have one other idea for the magrid, 100MW guitar amp! Instead of a pops frequency, take the feed from a Stratocaster. The only problem is building a 100MW speaker system.
CHoff

drmike

Post by drmike »

choff wrote:I have one other idea for the magrid, 100MW guitar amp! Instead of a pops frequency, take the feed from a Stratocaster. The only problem is building a 100MW speaker system.
That's what plasmas are for! Look up "plasma speaker". People have been building them for decades.

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

drmike wrote:
choff wrote:I have one other idea for the magrid, 100MW guitar amp! Instead of a pops frequency, take the feed from a Stratocaster. The only problem is building a 100MW speaker system.
That's what plasmas are for! Look up "plasma speaker". People have been building them for decades.

Years ago I was installing a 7/8' transmission line on an AM broadcast tower, and the transmission line was absorbing energy from the tower before we could get it grounded. (got a nasty little burn from it.) While pulling the cable across the floor of the equipment shack, we could see arcs jumping from the end of the cable into the concrete.

Of course we had to play with it. I stuck the end of the cable near a piece of rebar, and we could here the radio station's music eminating out of the plasma arc. Don't know if that's the same thing as a "Plasma speaker", but it sure was cool. 8)

David
Last edited by ravingdave on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger

Post by Roger »

choff wrote:Probably if WB100 ever gets funded we'll hear people saying it's going to produce black holes and stranglets that swallow the world.
Not my conCERN.

:-)
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

drmike wrote:
Durn. You beat me to it.

To get adequate low freq response the horn needs to be 30 ft across at the exit.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

drmike

Post by drmike »

That would fit in a stadium no problem. Nobody would be left with hearing for 20 miles, but that's what loud rock music is all about.
:D

rcain

Post by rcain »

drmike wrote:That would fit in a stadium no problem. Nobody would be left with hearing for 20 miles, but that's what loud rock music is all about.
:D
no, no- what you want playing on THAT is some of this - 148BPM LOUD REPETITIVE BEATS with loads of Polyphonix & FX.... wait, let me plug my MP3 in for you....you'll hear what I mean...