Widom Larsen (WL-) Theory, LENR, CF (Rossi, etc)

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

rcain

Widom Larsen (WL-) Theory, LENR, CF (Rossi, etc)

Post by rcain »

hope people dont mind, i extracted a conversation out of the Rossi News thread ( here: viewtopic.php?t=2829&postdays=0&postord ... start=1440 ), so that it could be discussed here in a little more detail, without getting burried by noise.

Heres the thread, that kicks things off:
tomclarke wrote:
Giorgio wrote:
tomclarke wrote: I think the big gap in their paper is how they propose the slow neutrons are generated. They need relativistic electrons and blithely asume that these can exist in a lattice, without considering quantitatively what would need to happen for their mechanism (SPPs) to do this. they have never revistied this initial weak point in their argument.

Tom
Are you referring to their theorized coherent proton oscillation mode?
Yes. Actually, I have just read the critique from Hagelstein & the answer from W&L.

I have to remember covariant forms of maxwell's equations to work out which is correct - Hagelstein says the mass change should depend on on the transverse component of electric field, W&L says it should depend on entire field. Difference is many orders of magnitude - if Hagelstein is right W&L don't work.

One thing. W&L claim, in their refutation of Hagelstein, Mev electrons are not unusual in lattices because static electricity charge transfer can lead to such charge separation voltages in Van der Graaf machines.

This is (a) bad physical intuition & (b) not true.

The voltage at charge separation is small. It then increases as separated charges are pulled apart and capacitance is reduced. In a Van der Graaf the 10Mev energy comes from the power which drives the belt - as the charge goes up the belt so it gains potential energy.

Of course Mev electrons in a lattice are totally weird.

More later if I manage to do 4-vector stuff properly. But I bet somone here can do it quicker than me:
Hagelstein's critique:
http://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/sr/WL/ ... sShift.pdf
and heres the WL-theory paper again:

http://iris.lib.neu.edu/cgi/viewcontent ... s_fac_pubs

my own thoughts:

WL-theory seems to posit only an enabling machanism for the possibility of nuclear reaction or transmutation to occure - it says nothig about those reactions themselves, simply:
W&L wrote:"The resulting ultra low momentum neutrons catalyze a
variety of different nuclear reactions, creating complex
nuclear reaction networks and related transmutations
over time. The prompt hard gamma radiation which
accompanies the neutron absorption is absorbed by
the heavy electrons which drastically lowers the radiation frequencies
of the finally produced photons..."
and on the subject of possible cause to start the whole process (heavy electrons), says::
W&L wrote:"Heavy electrons appear on the surface of a metallic hydride in non-equilibrium situations. Sufficient conditions
include (i) intense LASER radiation incident on a suitably
rough metallic hydride surface, (ii) high chemical
potential differences across the surface due electrolytic
voltage gradients and (iii) high chemical potential differences
across the surface due to pressure gradients. Under
such non-equilibrium conditions, weakly coupled surface
plasmon polariton oscillations and proton oscillations induce
an oscillating electromagnetic field"
on the plane-wave/4-momentum question:
W&L wrote:"Only the heavy electrons can absorb a hard
photon with four momentum ¯hk emitting n photons each
with four momentum ¯hq."
- i'll just have to take their word on that unless someone cares to check their algebra.

then, later on absorbtion:
W&L wrote:"Especially note that the heavy electron current response
function depends on the soft radiation field which
renormalized the electron mass in the first place."
and
W&L wrote:"Thus, the hard photon is absorbed at a distance of less
than a nanometer away from where it was first created.
This constitutes the central result of this work."
finally:
W&L wrote:"The resulting ultra low momentum neutrons catalyze a
variety of different nuclear reactions, creating complex
nuclear reaction networks and related transmutations
over time. The prompt hard gamma radiation which
accompanies the neutron absorption is absorbed by
the heavy electrons which drastically lowers the radiation frequencies
of the finally produced photons..."
and:
W&L wrote:"Thus, the heavy surface electrons can act as a
gamma ray shield. Once the non-equilibrium conditions
creating heavy electrons cease, ultra low momentum neutron
production and gamma absorption both stop very
rapidly"
sorry for all the re-quotes, seemed the best way to sum up what i saw as the salient elements.

too many assumptions? not so sure. i get the idea most of the phenomenon modelled are well observed/characterised already in the lab.

lack of (theory-speficic-) data - agreed, i think. have yet to look through the Hagelstein critique, but you would have thought it to be the type of thing labs all around the world would be looking to verify or debunk. (some more googling might yieid).

applicability to Rossi - whether or not the isotopical inventories match, i dont trust his data. will take a close look at Miley's and others. But that maybe outside of the WL theory itself.

applicability to an account of LENR phenomenon in general - well, seems quite a good place to start to me - even if it is 'mistaken' in some detail, its working in the right language, at the right scale. maybe the 'revised- WL', who knows.

Giorgio

Re: Widom Larsen (WL-) Theory, LENR, CF (Rossi, etc)

Post by Giorgio »

rcain wrote:too many assumptions? not so sure. i get the idea most of the phenomenon modelled are well observed/characterised already in the lab.
The source they (mis)quoted for the cornerstone of their hypothesis did reject their interpretation.
http://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/sr/WL/ ... ique.shtml
Their attempt to justify this possibility appears ultimately to rest on their claim that, in their Ref. 20, Kemali, Ross et al. found evidence for collective proton oscillations in saturated PdH. This is simply not the case. I have discussed this matter with Ross personally, and he emphatically denies that the neutron scattering data shows any evidence of collective proton oscillations of the type claimed by Widom and Larsen
As far as I know WL never attempted to actually verify it experimentally.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

dumb question...
I've seen statements like this from a number of sources.
The prompt hard gamma radiation which accompanies the neutron absorption
My dumb question is, what makes it that a hard gamma always accompanies a neutron absorbtion? Where does this statement come from?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

What do you mean?
You want to know the method of gamma ray emission or you want to know the reason for the emission of the gamma?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Just as i say that the theory has not been under experimental verification, here come a news that corrects me:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/05/nasa-c ... heory.html

Looks like NASA is actually verifying if the WL theory has any merits.

Interesting news.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yes, I have seen this as well. Lets not get ahead of ourselves though. NASA is checking out a lot of theories all the time, many science institutions are. Many of them turn out to be bogus. So just because NASA is testing the theory does not mean that it has any merrit.
Would be cool if it worked though!

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

The main reason I am happy that NASA is testing this is that they will at least follow some correct scientific method in doing the verification.

A negative reply from them will (more or less) close the issue.
A positive reply might open interesting roads.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Giorgio wrote:What do you mean?
You want to know the method of gamma ray emission or you want to know the reason for the emission of the gamma?
Why does there have to be a gamma emission? What is it that REQUIRES there to be a gamma?

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Pardon my ignorance, what does this thread have to do with polywell theory?
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

rcain

Post by rcain »

rjaypeters wrote:Pardon my ignorance, what does this thread have to do with polywell theory?
no ignorance to pardon, i'm sure. it doesnt have anything to do with Polywell theory. but it is a theory (well, hypothesis).

it was either here, or in general (burried under political crap), or in news (burried under polemic crap).

i thought it was interesting enough to open up.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Theory Forum Guidelines wrote:This forum is for discussion of the theory behind fusion in general, and the Polywell approach to fusion in particular.

rcain

Post by rcain »

KitemanSA wrote:
Giorgio wrote:What do you mean?
Why does there have to be a gamma emission? What is it that REQUIRES there to be a gamma?
thats what i was wondering. where do these "hard prompt gamma photons" come from? space?

as i understand WL, its a two (-at least two-) stage process -
WL wrote:The prompt hard gamma radiation which
accompanies the neutron absorption is absorbed by the
heavy electrons which drastically lowers the radiation frequencies
of the finally produced photons via...
before that step,
WL wrote:This allows for the production of ultra low momentum
neutrons and neutrinos from heavy electrons interacting
with protons or deuterons
˜e− + p+ → n + νe,
˜e− + d+ → n + n + νe.
there.

they suggest elsewhere, this is 'typical':
WL wrote:Typically, neutron catalyzed nuclear reactions
release energy in large part by the emission of
prompt hard gamma radiation
looks pretty fundamental. as i understand it, this is the part Dr Julian Brown suggested they could have saved themselves a whole lot of unnecessary calculus by using a Feynmann diagram and still made their point.

(previous link from G - WL critique by Brown - http://www.newenergytimes.com/v2/sr/WL/ ... ique.shtml )

can anyone verify?

other experimental evidence or this pathway?

so in answer to your question Kite, i think its meant to be the extra 'heaviness' of the electron.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

rcain wrote:
rjaypeters wrote:Pardon my ignorance, what does this thread have to do with polywell theory?
no ignorance to pardon, i'm sure. it doesnt have anything to do with Polywell theory. but it is a theory (well, hypothesis).

it was either here, or in general (burried under political crap), or in news (burried under polemic crap).

i thought it was interesting enough to open up.
Oh, I am pretty ignorant, especially about LENR.

I'm trying to ask this in the nicest way I can: Is there another forum where the interested discuss LENR?
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

rcain

Post by rcain »

rjaypeters wrote:Is there another forum where the interested discuss LENR?
i dont know. is there? thinking of a raiding party to go steal all their knowledge? or just trolling ;)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

W&L wrote:
"Only the heavy electrons can absorb a hard
photon with four momentum ¯hk emitting n photons each
with four momentum ¯hq."
There must be a LOT of heavy electrons in the material to make sure no X-rays or gammas are seen outside the device.

That would also eliminate any surface reactions.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.