The latest Polywell Post is up.

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mattman

Post by mattman »

Hello,

If the Navy Gets Mixed Results: We Fund It.

http://thepolywellblog.blogspot.com/201 ... nd-it.html

The blog has passed Seven THOUSAND page views!

Post by 93143 »

Just a clarification: Power output goes as the 7th power of the radius, if you assume magnetic field is directly proportional to machine radius (which is an engineering consideration, and roughly correct for a given class of magnet). Gain goes as the 5th power of the radius.

The power scaling (B^4R^3) is basic physics and is widely accepted. The gain scaling is the controversial part...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Nice find on the pictures. I'd never seen the cancelled Livermore mirror machine before.

As 93143 says. the losses are the question. I'm not sure it's accurate to say a small machine can verify them -- as Rick has pointed out, small machines give you overly optimistic results because the fastest loss mechanism can change with radius. Perhaps in the context of toks, "relatively small" would be more accurate phrasing.

Some promising WB-8 results next week would be nice. There's a lot of cash sitting around looking for places to invest. A fusion bubble would be fun!
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Fusion Bubble...hmm..how about a Fusion Vacuum? :D

(Consider this as bait for Chris...)

I am also very curious to see what actually gets posted for the recovery.gov report.