magrid configuration brainstorming

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Curiousfusor, could draw a picture of your idea? It's hard to visualize from words.

Curiousfusor

Post by Curiousfusor »

I would if I could, that's what sucks is that I can't, but um- take a steel sphere with a whole in the top and bottom, and then wrap it as if a regular old electromagnet, top to bottom. Picture two horse shoe magnets facing each other as a cross section of the field lines, so that in the center there's an area of no magnetic field. Maybe that'll help?

Randy

Post by Randy »

Curiousfusor wrote:I would if I could, that's what sucks is that I can't, but um- take a steel sphere with a whole in the top and bottom, and then wrap it as if a regular old electromagnet, top to bottom. Picture two horse shoe magnets facing each other as a cross section of the field lines, so that in the center there's an area of no magnetic field. Maybe that'll help?
Curiousfusor,

I modeled the magnetic field produced by a spherically shaped conductor – such as you described.

This simple model (created with FEMM-4.2) depicts the magnetic field lines produced along an axis-symmetric slice through the vertical axis of a spherical copper conductor in a vacuum – where an evenly distributed current flows into the green face of the spherical copper conductor and out of the red face of the spherical copper conductor.

I had never considered such a coil winding configuration before, but your idea intrigued me, so I modeled it just to see what it would really look like. Well, it doesn’t look like what I thought it would; note how all of the internal field lines are nearly parallel to the vertical axis.

This coil design is very interesting but unfortunately it will not function as a magrid.

~Randy

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Randy,
Just for interest sake, could you model the systen again including an "image" magnet, half size, same current DENSITY, reverse polarity in the middle?

Randy

Post by Randy »

KitemanSA wrote:Randy,
Just for interest sake, could you model the systen again including an "image" magnet, half size, same current DENSITY, reverse polarity in the middle?
KitemanSA,

These models have an image boundary radius of 4 inches.

Image magnet model:

The outer spherical conductor carries a current of 10,000 amps with a cross section area of 0.000822355 m^2, giving an average current density J ~ 12 megaAmps/m^2.
The inner spherical conductor carries a current of -4,615 amps with a cross section area of 0.000379548 m^2, giving an average current density J ~ -12 megaAmps/m^2.

Same as above but current flow is in the same direction along each sphere:

~Randy

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Thank you.

It does show a degree of wiffleballing, but most field lines still transit thru the conductors so the electron loss path is way too great. I doubt this could be a sustainable confinement scheme. It might be slightly improved by thickening the conductor near the poles.

mattman

Post by mattman »

Nice work Randy.

Every time I check this thread, it gets longer and longer.

There is allot of work being done. Is there is a better way to interconnect it all?

Someone had a Polywell wiki going at http://www.ohiovr.com/polywell-faq/ but IDK what happened to it.

I would support a wiki - since you can use crowd sourcing better.

=====
Dan,

Thanks. Those numbers are important.

I Also Found this in the transcript of "Should Google Go Nuclear" Page 13:

"WB6 had a radius = 15 cm, B = 1.3K gauss, E = 12.5 kV. It was a clean recirculating truncated cube with minimal spaced corner interconnects, multi-turn, conformal can coils, uncooled, capacitor pulsed drive, i.e. to 2000 Amps, and incorporated final detailed engineering design constraints."

http://www.askmar.com/ConferenceNotesSh ... uclear.pdf

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Ahh, the ole' Mad Retired High School Physics Teacher website...

We haven't seen him around here for a while.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

classicpenny

Just Lurking

Post by classicpenny »

Mad HS Physics teacher is here. Lurking and Waiting for something to happen. I am often tempted to head down to San Diego and beat on a certain door and ask what's happening? It sure would be nice to see some specifics...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Tell me you have a VW bus to make the trip in... :D
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

classicpenny

Post by classicpenny »

Oh - you must have missed it. Back a few years ago each of us traded our VW bus in for a Prius ;-)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

But you kept the Bandana right? :lol:

mattman

Post by mattman »

Gentleman,

When you are desperate - honesty is the best policy.

I need a job.

I have been studying the Polywell since 2008. I want to continue efforts, but I am broke.

Those of you, around here that have read: http://thepolywellblog.blogspot.com/ or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkQeiRJjJs know that this material is sharp as hell.

Not perfect - but really, really, really, darn good. Not too toot the blog’s horn, but, it was:

1. The first place to link Real Experimental Results to magnetic mirror Theory. (No. Really. The Post Predates the Sydney paper by 5 months)
2. The first place to lay out a detailed machine mechanism in 9 steps.
3. The first place to apply the Lawson Criteria to the Polywell.

After 4 years, I cannot be more excited. I cannot say with certainty that this will work but, I cannot say it will fail either. I believe MIT cannot say the Polywell will fail either – and for that, I am hopeful. Also, the Whole World is looking for Green, Cheap, Energy, so, if this works, it will be huge. We are all involved in something that is very exciting.

If you are at all jealous of these accomplishments - trust me, you would not want to be me. This effort has taken a great deal of my time and money and I have gone nearly broke in its execution.

If you have a fusion/science job – I am the best guy to hire. I am relatively young, willing to move, and I am already trained for the work. I also have some pretty developed plans for more research. I have spent allot of time, thinking deeply about this machine. I think I could have something science-paper-worthy in a year or so. I am not opposed to any organization or funding source: grants, small business plans, Venture Capital, Universities, Defense Contractors, or the Military-Industrial-Complex, ect…

If I do not hear anything from this community – I will apply for a generic corporation job.
====

Also, a new post is up!

http://thepolywellblog.blogspot.com/201 ... -post.html

It is executive summaries for all the other posts. It is a one-stop-shop for all your Polywell Blog Needs!

As of this morning, the blog past 32,041 hits! The blog is now averaging 50 to 60 hits a day! Its also the 6th to 7th hit for Googling the word: Polywell!

July, August, September and October each, set a new record in traffic. November is on track to beat October. Allot of new hits from England and Russia and still almost no hits from China. In the states, the most interest is from New York, then California.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

mattman wrote:still almost no hits from China.
Not surprising. No point clicking on a Blogspot link unless you have a VPN.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.