buckyball boosting?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

happyjack27

buckyball boosting?

Post by happyjack27 »

i was talking to a guy in a bar before about polywells, and he was like, how about using buckyballs? immediately of course i came back about scaling laws.

now that i think of it, however, the electron orbits about the buckyball, in a statistical sense, might very well resemble that of a polywell. they might have a stronger mag field closer to the neuclui, and thus the quasi-spherical symmetric mirroring effect would, statistically, be there. even if the average was zero net field, the _variance_ would incorporate probabilistic net fields which the probabilistic electrons and ions would probabilisitically "see". i'm referring to a sort of tunneling effect here.

so what i'm getting at is what if you throw in a bunch of buckyballs into the system, to act as quantum statistical nucleation centers? presuming they don't just get torn apart by the forces and the fusions, that is.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

which makes me wonder: what if cold fusion is just this effect? what if the electrical voltage across the crystalline electrode and the resultant flow of electrons forces the electrons orbiting the crystal to bifurcate into a coherent convection mode (like convection cells in a pot of boiling water), thus inducing a coherent 3-dimensional array of microscopic wb-6's?

an important thing to note: if you'd just put a bunch of metal balls at the vertices of a doedec, the electrons would just run right into the conductor and you'd loss all your energy right away. (just like they'd run into them if you use permanent magnets instead of elecromagnets) but with individual atoms you don't have this problem; the electrons don't run into the protons. so the former is not an accurate model of the latter. you could possibly get a bunch of tiny electromagnets out of it with out burning through energy like crazy. you just need to somehow force some kind of coherence. and i don't think the pot of boiling water analogy is too far off.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

the lattice would confine the electrons to the needed position space. all that is needed now is to confine the momentum. and in that all you need is to break symmetry; to make it thermodynamically preferable for the momentum space to bifurcate. and that's where the energy gradient; the continuous flow of electrons comes in. (via dissipative structures.)

now one may argue that the electromagnetic forces of induction and its opposite are such that changes to the magnetic field are resisted, thus impeding said bifurcation. but that explains why you have to run a cold fusion cell for a really long time before it starts generating indications of fusion. and that also explains why after you turn off the voltage, those indications continue to persist for a while. (i'm reminded of the movie "primer" again: "does it stay like that?" "no, it winds down after a while, but what _does_ that?" magnetic fields do that.)

Will

Post by Will »

The main reason cold fusion is discounted is because there's little evidence to suggest the external electron environment and sufficiently influence the fusion cross-section of nuclei.

That said, there is *some* evidence that a palladium matrix can be used to increase the rate of beta-decay in certain radioisotopes by essentially an electrostatic focussing process (if I understood what I read about it correctly).

But it's never been shown for cold fusion, and I believe since the interactions are quite different they're not analogous.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

Will wrote:The main reason cold fusion is discounted is because there's little evidence to suggest the external electron environment and sufficiently influence the fusion cross-section of nuclei.
if that's the main reason, it's a pretty bad one. i mean there are a lot of other things gong on there. i thought main reason was that it proved exceptionally difficult to replicate. after all, that is how science generally works.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

If you are interested in understanding cold fusion, if it exists, you will need to become familiar with the complexity of hydrogen loading into metallic crystals. Also, there have been some suggestion that the local conditions within the crystal latice may be somewhat like a Bose Einstein condensate. and that is just touching the head scratching that has occured.

Bucky balls have been discussed before. If there is any beneficial effects, it is moot, as the molecules could not survive past even a few electron volts. Remember, chemical bonds are generally in the sub eV range. Even the hottest burning reactions only produce a fraction of an eV (1 eV=~ 11,000 degrees K).

Hydrogen will ionize at ~10 eV. Hevier elements like boron or carbon will lose the last of their electrons at a few hundred eV.

Bucky tubes, or graphine might have some use in the magnet windings, if superconductors cannot be used. They may have significantly greater electrical conductivity that copper wire.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

D Tibbets wrote: Bucky balls have been discussed before. If there is any beneficial effects, it is moot, as the molecules could not survive past even a few electron volts. Remember, chemical bonds are generally in the sub eV range. Even the hottest burning reactions only produce a fraction of an eV (1 eV=~ 11,000 degrees K).
i was a-feared of that. oh well.

regards the cold fusion thing. i'm just curious whether my reasoning is correct .

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

one could test this simple convection cell analogy by creating an environment for the electrons analgous to a boiling part of water. put a cylindrical conductor (the water) in a more conductive shell and bottom (the pan), then on the top have concentric circles of superconductors wherein you can sense the current w/out thereby altering the setup by adding too much resistance or impedance, and in any case take that into account. then as you vary the voltage potential between the shell (pan) and the sensors (air), it should go through phase transitions such that the net current in the superconducting sensors change how they vary radially. (higher on the outside than inside, then bifurcate, etc., the same way boiling water does.) oh, and i suppose you might also have to spin it, and maybe use a shell instead of a cylinder. i'm talking about replicating the experiment to find the fiegenbaum constant, except doing it w/electrons instead of water.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

i was talking to a guy in a bar before about polywells
That reminds me of that joke I heard recently.
"So 2 engineers go into a bar...."
;)