Hypothesis on Electron and Ion Behavior Inside the Polywell.

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

Aero wrote:I use a program called "Screen Calipers" from Iconico.com to measure the screen. A reduced feature trial version is available but it won't let you measure vertical. Measures in screen pixels, so you need to identify an on-screen reference length. Screen measurements in length units are sort of useless anyway, IMO. The trial version is still useful though. See details here:

http://www.iconico.com/caliper/
thanks, but i've got three dimensions here, 1 being depth with an accompanying convergence factor, and you can scale the view arbitrarily with the mouse (as you can see from the videos), so all in all i really need something directly in the non-transformed coordinate system. i need to integrate opengl code to draw lines into my code. and frankly i don't know opengl.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Measuring particle positions pixel lengths from screen dumps or whatever is just hilarious ... and not the way to go.

Do you have any way of piping out the numerical data besides putting it in a graphic?

At the high school physics level, you need to get a graph of particle position (x,y,z coords relative to some appropriate origin) versus time and check whether position, velocity and acceleration is doing what it should be doing.

Just for a single particle.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

i suppose, i was going to say the volume of data would just be enourmous, and piping out the data would be a huge bottleneck.

i suppose i could try running only 1 particle and copying the data to the host every iteration if anyone wants to generate some test scenarios and is willing to evaluate the data. bear in mind the data would just be a series of x,y,z,dx,dy,dx,and maybe an acceleration vector, a line at a time.

in the meantime i'm happy with what i got for now. i've got to add some logarithmic sliders and particle recycling and see if i can get tighter cusps and higher densities.

icarus

Post by icarus »

and see if i can get tighter cusps and higher densities
... for a graphical animation under the current approximations.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

icarus wrote:
and see if i can get tighter cusps and higher densities
... for a graphical animation under the current approximations.
correct.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Greetings Happyjack27:

This thread was going hot and heavy for a while, then you switched to phase space but that has petered out too. So now I guess is the time to ask for some tweeks.

Is it possible for you to run your model while effectively turning on a cloud chamber? By that I mean permanently turn on a pixel at each particle locate every X time steps. Then, as output format, select each Yth cycle of X time steps and save it as a frame in a movie.

My purpose is to view the general evolution of the shape and desity of the particle cloud.

I'd LOVE to see these movies for the WB6; the "square plan form (SPF)" WB6; the "bow-sided SPF" WB6; the icosidodecahedron; and maybe a few others (e.g., same with image magnets).

Is this doable? Will you?

Thanks.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

KitemanSA,

Your request would be really neat, but I'm still hoping happyjack27 is enjoying his quantum physics lectures and:
happyjack27 wrote:on that note i've inadvertently forked my code into two branches that i need to merge. the one you saw in the last few sims and some untested changes towards loss visualization and the aforementioned statistics. and yeah, i'm running out of interesting things to sim, so pretty soon i'll have nothing to do _besides_ that.

anyways, i'll probably get back on that after the new years. if i can find time between watching quantum physics lectures on youtube.
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

mattman

Response to comments is finally up

Post by mattman »

Hello,

A formal response to all your comments is now posted. You can view it here:

http://thepolywellblog.blogspot.com/201 ... ments.html

Enjoy!