NEW BLOG POST ON ELECTRONS INSIDE POLYWELL

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mattman

NEW BLOG POST ON ELECTRONS INSIDE POLYWELL

Post by mattman »

Hello,

The Polywell Blog --- http://thepolywellblog.blogspot.com/ --- Has posted its latest post on Electron flow inside the device. It looks at Six issues in the device:

1. Electron recirculation – Where are they travelling?
2. Electron recirculation – When are they moving fast? When are they moving slow?
3. The magnetic mirror line - Where do the electrons turn around?
4. The Whiffle ball – Are the electrons creating their own magnetic field?
5. Are the electrons mutually repulsive in the center?
6. Are electrons packing in the cusp points?

This Blog only posts every couple of Months. When they do post; the content is normally top quality. It is meant to be a "For Dumbies" Polywell analysis. I just re-read it. You should enjoy it.

Right now we are working on a summary of Dr. Todd Rider's 1995 paper on Interial Electrostatic Confinement devices. We have been working since early May on this post. We have about 65% of the post done -- about 25 pages; but the work is still several months from finished. The goal is to explain - in plain English - Rider's issues with and, analysis of, the Polywell. Ideally, we would like a document up on askmar.com and a power point presentation on YouTube. Again, this is several months away.

If there any editors out there who would like to edit and, co-work on this, please contact me.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

You should take into account that confinement has been proven with WB7 and 7.1. In a broad sense this means Wiffleball. Given that the contract for WB8 does not talk about Wiffleball testing, that also leads to confirming that they are satisfied with the ideas of electrons and ions, and the interaction. The WB8 series is testing for scaling laws.

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

I'm not going to even start on explaining where this guy is wrong-headed and confused.

suffice it to say things don't work the way he thinks they do.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I was afraid to even read it. Still, it's good to see people are interested.

But like I was telling ladajo the other day, it is hard to string three sentences together about Polywell without making a major error unless you've been studying it for a while. Few of these web articles seem to accomplish it very often.

Just the other day on Slashdot Polywells came up, and someone said they shouldn't be taken seriously until they get over 2K temp. Argh.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

TallDave wrote:Just the other day on Slashdot Polywells came up, and someone said they shouldn't be taken seriously until they get over 2K temp. Argh.
I hope you corrected them about how easy it is to get particle energy in a polywell.

So many assumptions that work well for tokomaks and other magnetic confinement devices simply don't hold up when electric fields of 10s of kV are involved.