Virtual Polywell

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Rick Brice

Post by Rick Brice »

Art Carlson wrote:
Rick Brice wrote:Think of the rotation of the water in a flush toilet. It is just that simple.
That says everything.
Art,
Actually, it does. It was this simple phenomenon that led to a working Inertial Navigation System and an understanding of Coriolis Effect.

I'm rusty on this, but I'm sure that the acceleration due to gravity does not remain constant as the earth rotates.
Assuming that the BFR is in a static location, it still has dynamic velocity vectors as the earth rotates. This would impart spin to the plasma relative to the gravity vector, unless someone can come up with an explanation why this is not so?
RH Rule? But I'm Left-handed!

MSimon

Re: Coriolis Effect

Post by MSimon »

chrismb wrote:
Art Carlson wrote: Why in heaven's name would you want to calculate forces in a rotating reference frame?
Outright circumferential instabilities and small imbalances will likely send the plasma tumbling. Seems quite plausible to me. Not sure whether it'd be micro, unit or mega rad/s, but there doesn't seem to me to be anything to stop rotation of the reactants - apart from the fabled 'annealing', perhaps; the 'fix-all' solution to Polywell's thermalisation problems and general nuisance ions that do what they like.

Maybe there could be processes that create self-balancing populations of particles in counter-rotations - there again, maybe not? - but we're agreed that pure radial motion isn't a given
viewtopic.php?p=13335#13335
I blame the Space-Time vortex myself. And dark energy.

And a rotation rate of 7.27e-5 radians a second has got to be significant in a process whose 1/e time is on the order of microseconds.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rcain

Re: Coriolis Effect

Post by rcain »

MSimon wrote:
chrismb wrote:
Art Carlson wrote: Why in heaven's name would you want to calculate forces in a rotating reference frame?
Outright circumferential instabilities and small imbalances will likely send the plasma tumbling. Seems quite plausible to me. Not sure whether it'd be micro, unit or mega rad/s, but there doesn't seem to me to be anything to stop rotation of the reactants - apart from the fabled 'annealing', perhaps; the 'fix-all' solution to Polywell's thermalisation problems and general nuisance ions that do what they like.

Maybe there could be processes that create self-balancing populations of particles in counter-rotations - there again, maybe not? - but we're agreed that pure radial motion isn't a given
viewtopic.php?p=13335#13335
I blame the Space-Time vortex myself. And dark energy.

And a rotation rate of 7.27e-5 radians a second has got to be significant in a process whose 1/e time is on the order of microseconds.
small punctures init..

i dont know what those numbers are exactly msimon, but they dont sound unlikely to me. particularly if youre a plasmoid wondering its way its way around some polywell circuitry .. i should imagine...

i guess you could pick it up with a tuned laser cavity across cords through the device.

what is there, a few grams of matter?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Let me put it simply:

If gravity is not significant in terms of plasma effects the Coriolis Effect is going to be even less significant.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.