Polywell development plan

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

jlumartinez

Polywell development plan

Post by jlumartinez »

What are the next EMC2 challenges to develop a break-even reactor (first with DD fusion) ?
Which are the main constrains and research fields that should be enhanced?

Keegan

coils

Post by Keegan »

well so far we have coils that did not survive the 12kv and 5kA peak wb6 was subjected to for brief PULSED periods

so we need coils about 2m in diameter that will need to be able to handle CONTINUOUS 100kv and 100KA and be able to dynamically cope with the thermal stresses of some form of active cooling, magnetic and electrostatic interactions between coils and occasional neutron bombardment.

not to mention the exotic power supplies and direct access to HT power lines that powering such coils would require.

the vacuum and e-guns and controll issues don't seem too difficult

the internal combustion and jet engine advanced metallurgy considerably, i wouldn't be surprised if the polywell did the same.

First post - It seems like you guys have got yourself a great forum here. I cant wait to see what comes out of this :)
Purity is Power

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The control issues are quite difficult.

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

Well at least the control issues seem to get a little easier as we increase scale.

Electrons and ions circulate around the racecourse that is the magrid. I haven't seen any discussion on the effect cyclotron radiation/ocillation might have on the performance of the machine if any.
Purity is Power

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Keegan wrote:Well at least the control issues seem to get a little easier as we increase scale.
The time constants do get longer.
Electrons and ions circulate around the racecourse that is the magrid. I haven't seen any discussion on the effect cyclotron radiation/ocillation might have on the performance of the machine if any.
Have you looked into POPS?

http://www.lanl.gov/p/rh_pp_park.shtml