Spheroidal Foci and POPS?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

TallDave wrote:Yes I think it's technically the gyration around the field lines. I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how the deformation happens, and I haven't found much online.
Doesn't the action on the electron by the magnetic field set up an equal and opposite reaction on the magnetic field by the electron? In other words, it reflects from, it bounces off and imparts some momentum that pushes the field out. Gas molecules do the same thing by elastic collosion with a balloon. The gas molecules do not slide alng the skin of the balloon but reflect at ~ an equal angle to the impact direction.

I frequently get confused as to right hand vs left hand rule with electronics (mechanical engineering is easy, EVERYTHING is right hand); but I do recall at one time convincing myself that the 1/2 orbit of an electron intersecting a strong field sets up a 1/2 solenoid field in the direction opposite to the background field. That equal and opposite field effectively shoves the background field in the direction of impact. Am I wrong?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

That sounds right to me, Kite. Maybe MSimon or 93143 could say with more certainty (old reply, I know; I blame DeltaV).

My understanding is that's longhand for "electron pressure."
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...