Ejection of byproducts

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

D Tibbets wrote: More percise discription, but I believe 7 microns =~ 10 micro armospheres, not 100. (760,000 microns per atmosphere).
Dang this slip-stick. It always misses the decimal place!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Dan's nomenclature, 10e4,
Mantissa. Exponent. (not exactly - but parallel).

10e4 = 100,000

1e4 = 10,000

BTW Exa is rarely used.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

MSimon wrote:

10e4 = 100,000

1e4 = 10,000

BTW Exa is rarely used.
No, that's the point. 1e4 is your notation. To my mind, 10e4 is without ambiguity - it makes no sense for it to mean anything but 10^4, else otherwise you'd write 1e5.

[The 'mantissa' is the fractional part of a logarithm and has been replaced with the term 'significand' in recent times to discriminate the significant digits in real, SI-type numbers, supposedly to avoid confusion.]

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: BTW Exa is rarely used.
Wait a couple years and you'll start hearing about ExaFLOP machines. They are an multi-Peta already.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

chrismb wrote: No, that's the point. 1e4 is your notation. To my mind, 10e4 is without ambiguity - it makes no sense for it to mean anything but 10^4, else otherwise you'd write 1e5.
Not his notation, most every computer user anywhere's notation. E means x10^ and D means the same thing but with double precision. Been that way for decades. So 10E4 means 10x10^4, or 100,000, only you are not supposed to write it that way.

Dan uses e cuz he is lazy and doesn't like to push extra buttons. Look at his other writings and it is plain to see. My problem with it is that e is the natural number and 1e5 reads 1xe^5; except I figure on his thriftiness with key strokes and read HIS stuff as 1E5.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

If it were, say 30,500 then you'd write 30k5.
Oh dear God. :shock:

BURN THE HERETIC!! :twisted:
Last edited by TallDave on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

chrismb wrote:
MSimon wrote:

10e4 = 100,000

1e4 = 10,000

BTW Exa is rarely used.
No, that's the point. 1e4 is your notation. To my mind, 10e4 is without ambiguity - it makes no sense for it to mean anything but 10^4, else otherwise you'd write 1e5.

[The 'mantissa' is the fractional part of a logarithm and has been replaced with the term 'significand' in recent times to discriminate the significant digits in real, SI-type numbers, supposedly to avoid confusion.]
It is not my notation. I saw it in a Feynman Lecture from 1979.

http://vega.org.uk/video/subseries/8

Try the first one.

I believe I learned that notation in high school which would have been around 1960.

And yes. 1e4 (and not uncommonly before E mean Exa 1E4) is how I would write it.
Last edited by MSimon on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

chrismb wrote:Maybe there is some interesting news from Tokamak-world to interest your neutrons!?!? :lol:
Well, my neurons are starting to feel like neutrons, but I hadn't realized other people could tell.

I should probably write Alan Boyle and see if anything's in the works. Not sure he even knows about WB-8.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

KitemanSA wrote:
chrismb wrote: No, that's the point. 1e4 is your notation. To my mind, 10e4 is without ambiguity - it makes no sense for it to mean anything but 10^4, else otherwise you'd write 1e5.
Not his notation, most every computer user anywhere's notation. E means x10^ and D means the same thing but with double precision. Been that way for decades. So 10E4 means 10x10^4, or 100,000, only you are not supposed to write it that way.

Dan uses e cuz he is lazy and doesn't like to push extra buttons. Look at his other writings and it is plain to see. My problem with it is that e is the natural number and 1e5 reads 1xe^5; except I figure on his thriftiness with key strokes and read HIS stuff as 1E5.
Actually, I used e to the whatever power as a concession to what I was seeing used predominatly in this forum (e or E?). I prefer and will go back to using 10^whatever power. If some number other than 1 is in the mantissa, then I'll write X*10^ whatever power. Less ambiguity that way. Of course, writing out the zeros, using terms like -billion, micro-, microns, pascals, atmospheres, liters, milliliters or cubic centimeters, inches, millimeters, meters, meters^3, feet, joules, watts, watt seconds, moles, etc. should allow plenty of opertunities for me to mix units.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Post by 93143 »

Just to weigh in on this; perhaps a bit late, but...

My PhD research basically involves a lot of C++ with a bit of Matlab (and of course some paper work to figure out what I should be trying to make the computer do). If I tell the computer 1e4 in either of these languages, it means 10,000. Plain and simple. It's a well-established standard, and as a matter of fact both languages use 'e' notation as a default for outputting very large or very small numbers, ie: 1.0000e+040 is 10^40.

I've even seen scientific papers use it (or the capital E version, which I just confirmed also works in Matlab, and is probably used more commonly in FORTRAN), mostly when showing direct output from a computer.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

93143 wrote:Just to weigh in on this; perhaps a bit late, but...

My PhD research basically involves a lot of C++ with a bit of Matlab (and of course some paper work to figure out what I should be trying to make the computer do). If I tell the computer 1e4 in either of these languages, it means 10,000. Plain and simple. It's a well-established standard, and as a matter of fact both languages use 'e' notation as a default for outputting very large or very small numbers, ie: 1.0000e+040 is 10^40.

I've even seen scientific papers use it (or the capital E version, which I just confirmed also works in Matlab, and is probably used more commonly in FORTRAN), mostly when showing direct output from a computer.
I use a units conversion program called Uconeer by Katmar Software that uses the 1E4 convention for 10,000. The calculator that comes with my PC (Windows) uses the 1e4 convention. With that calculator 10e4 = 100,000.

The Microsoft Works spreadsheet uses the 1E4 (or 1e4) convention for 10,000. Which means Open Office is probably the same (too lazy to check).

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Jeez, it really shows how slow things are when we waste all this time arguing about numeric notation.

As I said, sit and wait.

Is there something we might do to speed things along, like try finding the resourses to make alternate magnet forms?

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

just to get in on the act, my HP RPN calculator has a button "E" where 10E3 is 10,000 - and in engineering mode this displays as 10E3.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

I was taught (back in the mid to late '70s) that the E (or e) was for Exponent.

MSimon, I just tested it on Open Office. I entered "10e4" into the cell and it changed it to 10000 as the value, and displayed "1.00E+005". I entered "1E4" next, with the result of 1000 as the value and "1.00E+004" being displayed.

Personally, I prefer to use 10^n for exponents, but recognize 10En to mean the same thing. Every calculator I've ever used (to include a high-end Hewlett Packard from the early '80s that a friend had, that were so advanced the math teacher didn't recognize it as a calculator) has also supported it.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

krenshala wrote:I was taught (back in the mid to late '70s) that the E (or e) was for Exponent.

MSimon, I just tested it on Open Office. I entered "10e4" into the cell and it changed it to 10000 as the value, and displayed "1.00E+005". I entered "1E4" next, with the result of 1000 as the value and "1.00E+004" being displayed.

Personally, I prefer to use 10^n for exponents, but recognize 10En to mean the same thing. Every calculator I've ever used (to include a high-end Hewlett Packard from the early '80s that a friend had, that were so advanced the math teacher didn't recognize it as a calculator) has also supported it.
10000 as the value, and displayed "1.00E+005"

You know. Something doesn't add up here. 10000 <>= "1.00E+5"