Near Spherical Magrid

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

rjaypeters wrote:imaginatium,
Here is a Tombo spherical:
Almost. Tombo's started at the bottom and exited out the top (or vice versa). Yours enter and exit the same side.

But it's pretty!

icarus

Post by icarus »

rjaypeters:
Six square spherized rings:
If you rotate the squares 45 deg. about their centers so they come closest along the 'straight' sides then you would have what I was referring to above.

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

KitemanSA wrote:Almost. Tombo's started at the bottom and exited out the top (or vice versa). Yours enter and exit the same side.
I see my mistake, I'll fix it.

As I think about this "false" Tombo it is a relative of what I have been calling the "Tibbets with Icarus split."
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

WizWom wrote:Your moment arms for the magnetic reactant force are huge. You'd have shear forces on the supports that would be VERY hard to manage.
Indeed. What is posted above is a "false" spherical Tombo. My error. A real Tombo won't have the moment arm problem.

R. Peters

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

icarus wrote:If you rotate the squares 45 deg. about their centers so they come closest along the 'straight' sides then you would have what I was referring to above.
The original is based on a design I saw some time ago, I'll "rectify" the six squares later. After I create a Tombo (really) spherical.

R. Peters

imaginatium

Post by imaginatium »

rjaypeters wrote:imaginatium,
Here is a Tombo spherical:

EDIT: This is a "false" Tombo spherical. Later, I will complete a correct Tombo spherical.

Image Image Image

Including simplicity, the thing I like about this concept is one could use the repulsive forces to distort the magrid into the ideal shape for confinement (and other purposes) and possibly minimize or eliminate other support structures.
This is a beautiful model, but not quite what I meant. Like icarius' original, this model is conceptually elegant, but presents problematic engineering. The reason to go cealing to floor, rather than ceiling back to ceiling, is for stability against the magnetic forces, without excessive support structures. The beauty of tombo's model is that it simpler, and more practical engineering.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

rjaypeters wrote:
icarus wrote:If you rotate the squares 45 deg. about their centers so they come closest along the 'straight' sides then you would have what I was referring to above.
The original is based on a design I saw some time ago, I'll "rectify" the six squares later.
That will be a cube. Ho-hum!

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

Real Spherized Tombo:

Image Image Image

:oops:

R. Peters

icarus

Post by icarus »

kitetwit:
Keep up dim wit, read the thread before you interject your natterring nay-bob of negativity. I was merely answering a question of rjaypeters, not suggesting anything novel. If you've got nothing positive add why not just STFU?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

icarus wrote:kitetwit:
Keep up dim wit, read the thread before you interject your natterring nay-bob of negativity. I was merely answering a question of rjaypeters, not suggesting anything novel. If you've got nothing positive add why not just STFU?
Ok, so it would be a cube mapped to a sphere (which the link you provided didn't show by the way unless we were supposed to look multi-pages back (which I did't)). Still basically ho-hum. A multi-D cusp machine with a LOT of line cuspage. Dr. B seemed not to like line cuspage. I've seen no reason to start now.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

now, now, fellows.

i presume you're talking about what's been called the icarus' or tibbet's/icarus'. in that case, yes, those have HUGE line cusps. the thing to do, then, would be to keep in mind that people can be sensitive (more precisely, people ARE sensitive, 'cause after all, they're people), and rather than just criticizing out right, recommend an alteration of the design that removes what you see as a shortcoming. e.g. remove every other coil (all north-in or all north-out) to eliminate the line cusps. constructive criticism vs. destructive criticism. it generally works a lot better. (and avoids the disagreeable name-calling)

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

rjaypeters wrote:Real Spherized Tombo:
me likey.

get 3rd spot on my list. my new prioritized list for modelling/simulation:

1. hanelyp's configuration on pg 1 of the brainstorming thread (radially-aligned coils),
2. mine and hanelyp's cusp conversion / disruption techniques on pg 26 of the brainstorming thread (single-coil octahedral magrid with cusp disruption / with cusp conversion)
3. spherized tombo
4. tombo's inverse wb-6 on pg 5
5. 32-face tombo
6. square spherized wb-6

on another note - regarding "real" vs. "fake" tombo. the difference is one has to fight attractive forces (compressive) where the other has to fight repulsive forces (tensile). perhaps not as straightforward which one is better. curious. the "fake" would be more mechanically "stable" as dx = -ddx (repulsive forces decrease w/repulsion) whereas in the "real" dx = ddx (attractive forces increase w/attraction). the fake you could possibly tie the coils together w/loops of fiberglass (which has a higher tensile strength than steel) don't know what you'd use for the real. something with a high compressive strength, presumably. then in either case you've got to worry about deformation of the coil in that area.

rcain

Post by rcain »

love the simplicity of these designs.

hope this isn't a really daft question, but how do you get multiple turns through these coil configs - or dont we?

icarus

Post by icarus »

Ok, so it would be a cube mapped to a sphere (which the link you provided didn't show by the way unless we were supposed to look multi-pages back (which I did't)). Still basically ho-hum. A multi-D cusp machine with a LOT of line cuspage. Dr. B seemed not to like line cuspage. I've seen no reason to start now.
I don't know why you bother, you clearly haven't a clue what we're talking about. It would have exactly the same amount of line 'cuspage' (dumb-ass word) as WB6,7,etc as it is topologically identical to them, and because of that the direct link (and comment to where to scroll to) to the beach-ball pic of the spherical plasma shows exactly the cube-mapped to sphere concept needed.

Get over yourself and stop trying to drag animosity from other arguments you have lost onto unsuspecting threads. Go ho-hum yourself to sleep someplace else please. Some people are here to learn and contribute, what have you got to offer? I don't think you've ever submitted one drawing concept or logical argument besides a whiny '...but, but, but Dr B. said ....' whine, whine.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

icarus wrote: I don't know why you bother, you clearly haven't a clue what we're talking about.
You may be right here because:
icarus wrote:It would have exactly the same amount of line 'cuspage' (dumb-ass word) as WB6,7,etc as it is topologically identical to them,
if you think this is true then we have very different ideas about what a line cusp is.
icarus wrote:and because of that the direct link (and comment to where to scroll to) to the beach-ball pic of the spherical plasma shows exactly the cube-mapped to sphere concept needed.
Really? Where are the magnet casings in that picture?
icarus wrote:Get over yourself and stop trying to drag animosity from other arguments you have lost onto unsuspecting threads. Go ho-hum yourself to sleep someplace else please. Some people are here to learn and contribute, what have you got to offer? I don't think you've ever submitted one drawing concept
Current graphic postings stand at

Code: Select all

Poster           Own Graphics       Collaborated Graphics  Modified  Cartoons
Icarus                 1                       10               0        2
KitemanSA             13 (3 ASCII)              6               7*       1
Includes one of Indrek's that I credit you having collaborated on.
Just because you have an irrational blindness to other's work doesn't mean other folks do.
icarus wrote:or logical argument besides a whiny '...but, but, but Dr B. said ....' whine, whine.
If you and Dr. B say different things, I will take his opinion over yours any day. If that makes me whiny, then I am proud to be a member of this whine club.

PS: What specific argument have you misunderstood so much you think you had it right?
Last edited by KitemanSA on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.