Question for EMC2 crew: Please describe the data embargo.

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

blaisepascal

Question for EMC2 crew: Please describe the data embargo.

Post by blaisepascal »

We know that the 1995-2005 Navy contract prevented EMC2 from publicly publishing data and papers until the end of the contract. We also know that Dr. Nebon is seeking peer review of the results of the current contract, and (understandably) doesn't want to publicize results, good or bad, before they've been peer reviewed.

The best we've been able to get out of EMC2 about WB-7 so far is that they are pleased with what they are seeing.

Can anyone at EMC2 tell us what the data embargo restrictions on the current contract are? If you had publishable, peer-reviewed results, could you publish now? or only after the contract ends in August? or only after the funding is totally cut off, perhaps years from now? Are there some things you could publish and other things you can't? Can you give us any parameters about the data embargo aspects of your contract?

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Hello Blaise,
Your concern is understandable. I think most posters to Talk-Polywell want to know the answers too.

I am really quite impressed at how forthcoming Rick Nebel actually is. His last post concluded with the phrase "you'll have to stay tuned." Sounds like a good plan.

Regards,
Tony Barry

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Given that it is a Navy contract, the data obtained may be classified and may never be publishable in an open forum; one of the pitfalls in accepting the filth lucre.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:Given that it is a Navy contract, the data obtained may be classified and may never be publishable in an open forum; one of the pitfalls in accepting the filth lucre.
It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme. If Polywell is no good then it doesn't matter.

If it gets installed on a ship the rest of the world is no more than 5 to 7 years away from the technology if they have to start from current open sources only.

So figure at worst a 15 year delay.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Unfortunately, entire civilizations can fall in 15 years. Ours seems intent on nudging that way.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

KitemanSA wrote:Unfortunately, entire civilizations can fall in 15 years. Ours seems intent on nudging that way.
But on a more personal note, it is also a goodly portion of the rest of my life, and I would REALLY like to see humanity unchained before I die.
So; is there a Plan of Action with Milestones to get to that final point or are things at EMC2 just in the wrap-up stage? I've been searching this forum but there just seems to be a shotgun spattering of ideas on how to get someone else to fund it (Pickens indeed).

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:Unfortunately, entire civilizations can fall in 15 years. Ours seems intent on nudging that way.
But on a more personal note, it is also a goodly portion of the rest of my life, and I would REALLY like to see humanity unchained before I die.
So; is there a Plan of Action with Milestones to get to that final point or are things at EMC2 just in the wrap-up stage? I've been searching this forum but there just seems to be a shotgun spattering of ideas on how to get someone else to fund it (Pickens indeed).
Only Dr. Nebel can say at this point and he isn't talking.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Only Dr. Nebel can say at this point and he isn't talking.
I thought the Polywell design was owned by EMC2 and Dr. Nebel was a consultant to them. Does EMC2 not have an ongoing, always updated business POA&M? If all Navy support, due solely to politics, were to disappear tomorrow, what would be next on the agenda?

tombo

Post by tombo »

Don't worry too much about civilization falling within 15 years.
I was worried about that when I was young.
We have been living with the possibility of having it fall with 15 minutes ever since the 1950's.
The helpless attitude instilled by all those atom bomb drills in grade school (Yes, we really did have them.) was a huge drain on our country's ability to move forward for many years.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I dont know, they kinda helped people to have enough reason to avoid a nuclear war. Not a bad thing in my book.
I sure still have nuclear war nightmares after almost 20 years after the cold war. The late seventies and early eighties were scary times to grow up in. I never want this threat to be so imminent again, ever!
Currently I am most scared by islamists taking over Europe in the next 20, or 25 years though (a turkish heritage politician in Germany recently announced that they are planning to do so in 20 years already, so yeah, I am scared of that kinda, but then I hopefully wont be living here anymore by then).

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:I dont know, they kinda helped people to have enough reason to avoid a nuclear war. Not a bad thing in my book.
I sure still have nuclear war nightmares after almost 20 years after the cold war. The late seventies and early eighties were scary times to grow up in. I never want this threat to be so imminent again, ever!
Currently I am most scared by islamists taking over Europe in the next 20, or 25 years though (a turkish heritage politician in Germany recently announced that they are planning to do so in 20 years already, so yeah, I am scared of that kinda, but then I hopefully wont be living here anymore by then).
The Cuban Missile crisis was scarier. I knew a girl who got married so she could have sex before she died.

Now a days that attitude seems so naive. No one would bother with marriage.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Uhhhh.... no.

Economies can collapse and take 15 years to recover. Corrupt regimes can fall. Civilizations however do not implode in 15 years due to anything less than a dinokiller.

Worst case what we're facing now is Great Depression take 2. A 15-20 year hiccup in the world economy.

It would probably make the introduction of Polywell easier. The old cowardice before judgment regulations and industrial corporations would cease to exist, thus the restraints on risky experimentation and commercialization would be much less.
Last edited by djolds1 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vae Victis

jmc

Post by jmc »

Yes they can, the Mayans were wiped out in less than a decade.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Folks,
My most sincere apologies for leading this discussion off track. The fall of civilization was an off hand comment. Please drop it!

My real concern, is WHAT IS NEXT ON THE AGENDA (I know, don't yell!). If EMC2 is going to be embargoed due to Navy interference, what can we do to go around the embargo? If the Navy, for its own reasons, chooses to forego funding WB-8, what is the POA&M? How can I help?

Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

It was my understanding that the deal originally brokered between Dr. Bussard and the Navy was, in itself, almost historically significant because of the concessions given to Dr. Bussard. The "data embargo" was basicly a provision to ensure that the data was effectively peer reviewed before release to avoid a situation like the Pons-Fleischman debacle. Someone in the know can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe there was also a time limit on the peer review process. Either way I was also under the impression that after the peer review process was completed that all of the data becomes public domain.

The only real benefit the Navy got out of the contract was the right to use the technology free of royalties.