What were the energy and power inputs into the WB-6 reactor?

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

What were the energy and power inputs into the WB-6 reactor?

Post by KitemanSA »

The following is a draft answer to the subject FAQ. Does anyone have a reference or basis for these values? They seem way off to me. 12 volts? Where did that come from?

HELP!!

There are three main and seperate power inputs.

The coils (magrid). The coils require high currents but low voltages. Estimated coil voltage was 12 volts and current draw was 1000 amps for a total of 12 kilowatts.
The accelerating voltage on the magrid casing (5 amps at 12,000 volts) for a total of 60 kilowatts
The electron guns drew 12 amps at 1000 amps at 12 volts for a total of 12 kilowatts
The total power draw was then about 84 kilowatts

Roger

Re: What were the energy and power inputs into the WB-6 reac

Post by Roger »

The question was,

KitemanSA wrote: 12 volts? Where did that come from?
Automotive/RV batteries. Mines 12 volts, I hope.... :-)

I stand by my answer.... :-)
Last edited by Roger on Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

MSimon

Re: What were the energy and power inputs into the WB-6 reac

Post by MSimon »

Roger wrote:
KitemanSA wrote: 12 volts? Where did that come from?
Automotive/RV batteries. Mines 12 volts, I hope.... :-)
I believe it was deep discharge (Marine) batteries. Although automotive would be better for pulse power.

The reason for the batteries is that they served as an isolated supply without the need for a real power supply.

Charge the batteries. Disconnect the charging supply. Fire a shot. Cool the coils while charging the batteries. Disconnect the charging supply. Fire a shot. etc.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Did DrB say he used batteries to power the WB6? I thought he used a capacitor bank.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:Did DrB say he used batteries to power the WB6? I thought he used a capacitor bank.
Capacitor bank for the grid voltage. Battery bank for the magnet current.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Source?

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

Mr. Simon has it right. Batteries for the coils (high current, low voltage), capacitors for the coil cases (high voltage, low current). WB-6 power input ~ 10 MW.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Pretty good source!

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

How is this for new wording?
FAQ:What are the energy and power inputs into the WB-6 reactor?

Remembering that WB-6 never settled into a continuous operating mode, the transient start-up values provided below are not indicative of such a condition.

* The coils (magrid). The coils require high currents but low voltages. Estimated coil voltage was 12 volts and current draw was ~1000 amps for a total of ~12 kilowatts.

* The accelerating voltage on the magrid casing ~(5 amps at 12,000 volts) for a total of ~60 kilowatts

* The electron guns drew ~800 amps at 12,000 volts for a total of ~10 Megawatts.

The total power draw was then about 10 MW.

Roger

Post by Roger »

Looks good Kiteman.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

KitemanSA wrote:How is this for new wording?
FAQ:What are the energy and power inputs into the WB-6 reactor?

Remembering that WB-6 never settled into a continuous operating mode, the transient start-up values provided below are not indicative of such a condition.

* The coils (magrid). The coils require high currents but low voltages. Estimated coil voltage was 12 volts and current draw was ~1000 amps for a total of ~12 kilowatts.

* The accelerating voltage on the magrid casing ~(5 amps at 12,000 volts) for a total of ~60 kilowatts

* The electron guns drew ~800 amps at 12,000 volts for a total of ~10 Megawatts.

The total power draw was then about 10 MW.
I'm confused (maby I should change my signature to this)
Just saw this and the numbers don't add up to my recolection. The magnetic field and charge on the magrids are reasonable. But according to Bussard (my recolection) there were two ways to drive the electrons, either a high negative potential on the electron guns, or a high positive potential on the magrid casing (or a combination of both). I recall that the WB6 had a ~ 10-12,000 V pos. charge on the magrid, but only low voltage on the electron guns (which were made of an array of car (12 V) lamps).

So my made up numbers would be :

Magnetic Coils 12 Volts x 1000 Amps = 12,000 Watts
Magrid Cases 12,000 Volts x 5 Amps = 60,000 Watts
Electron Guns 12 Volts x 800 Amps = 9,600 Watts

Total = ~ 81,600 Watts :?:

[EDIT]. Make the electron accelerating voltage 12,000 volts (the magrid voltage). The battery powered electron gunss produced the electron current- which was ~ 40 amps when WB6 was passing through beta=1, so the electron watts would have been ~ 480,000 watts, with the corrected (I hope) WB6 power at ~ 490,000 watts.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.