Posting Guidelines

Discuss the talk-polywell site itself, including appearance, policies, and help-wanted requests from the administrators.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Posting Guidelines

Post by JoeStrout »

Welcome to Talk-Polywell!

In order to make this forum most useful for all involved, please observe the following guidelines when you post:

1. Be polite. No flames, insults, personal attacks, or other unprofessional behavior.

2. No posts consisting only of a link. If you have something to say, say it; if it's just a link, it belongs on a links page (like this one).

3. Use full sentences, and standard English spelling, punctuation, and grammar as much as possible.

4. You are encouraged (though not required) to use your real name rather than some silly handle. This is a forum for grown-ups.

That's it — please enjoy the forum and contribute what you can!

Thanks,
— Joe

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

I would like to encourage the creation of guidelines that avoid highly controversial (abortion, Bush, immigration, gay marriage, Bush etc.). They are non-topical to fusion, and will quickly drop to a flame war. There are appropriate forums for those.

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Topic Controls

Post by JoeStrout »

Zixinus wrote:I would like to encourage the creation of guidelines that avoid highly controversial (abortion, Bush, immigration, gay marriage, Bush etc.). They are non-topical to fusion, and will quickly drop to a flame war. There are appropriate forums for those.
You have a good point here. I'm a little wary of putting too many controls on the topics in the General forum — I'm hoping we can all act in a professional manner, and leave our opinions about Bush's gay marriage to waging war on aborted immigrants at the door. ;)

In other forums, of course, none of that would be on topic. When I see an off-topic thread, I'll move it to the appropriate forum, and if it degenerates into flames, I can lock it to prevent further replies. Do you think that will suffice?
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

For the time, I think so. But if the forum is going to grow significantly, we might have to enforce stricter guidelines and appoint moderators.

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

And could you please attach another rule?

"KEEP ON TOPIC!"

It's rather annoying to see topics get side-tracked by something unrelated or people saying stuff in a tread that has nothing to do with that.

Also, why name the fusion-specific forums "evangelical"?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Zixinus wrote:And could you please attach another rule?

"KEEP ON TOPIC!"

It's rather annoying to see topics get side-tracked by something unrelated or people saying stuff in a tread that has nothing to do with that.

Also, why name the fusion-specific forums "evangelical"?
On topic is harder to enforce.

May I suggest Missionary Work? LOL

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

Zixinus wrote:And could you please attach another rule?

"KEEP ON TOPIC!"

I agree, people should try to stay on topic as much as possible. MSimon is right though, this is hard to enforce.
Zixinus wrote:Also, why name the fusion-specific forums "evangelical"?
Evangelism is advocating/promoting something; for example, the "Apple evangelists" were an unofficial group of Apple enthusiasts who worked to promote Apple computers in a mostly Windows world. In a similar way, the forums in the Evangelical group are ones related to promoting and advocating Polywell fusion.
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator