Web site becoming unresponsive more often

Discuss the talk-polywell site itself, including appearance, policies, and help-wanted requests from the administrators.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

Re: Web site becoming unresponsive more often

Post by DeltaV »

While posting at T-P this past week, the site is locking up during Preview or Submit about 80% of the time. The lock-up probability goes up with the time spent editing before Preview or Submit.

Thus dies free speech, not with a bang, but with a spinning circle thingy...

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

The lock-up probability goes up with the time spent editing before Preview or Submit.
That seems to suggest an idle virtual server being swapped out and taking too long to swap back in.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Skynet, er, Google, knows that we are on to it (see the "Skynet is coming" thread).

I often see "Google [Bot]" listed near the bottom of the main page as being online at T-P... maybe that is the attack vector.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Is something like a kickstarter to pay for fix at all interesting/feasible?
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Another phpbb forum I administer was upgraded and transitioned from sqlite to mysql database earlier this week. Before the upgrade it was periodically slow/timed out, like this site. After it's much faster.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

So, I've been experiencing this issue now for the past year. Maybe longer.

What seems to happen is when I click on a thread, or a link that opens a position in a thread, such as to a specific page, or the last post, the website stalls like 90% of the time. I used to wait a while and then re-click the same link, and eventually it would work.

I have realized that if I click a such a link and then follow it by the same click again about 2-3 seconds later, the website almost always responds within 4-10 seconds and loads the page requested.

My guess is that the server retrieved the page from the first click, but often does not continue and complete the request and send send it over HTTP. Then, via the second click, a second request comes in, and since the page is already swapped into storage, it quickly transmits the page.

This is irritating, and I post this for Joe S. just in case he wants to look into it. I am also interested in knowing if everyone else is silently dealing with this problem.

Thanks.