Polywell FAQ Wiki under spam attack - action needed

Discuss the talk-polywell site itself, including appearance, policies, and help-wanted requests from the administrators.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

rcain

Polywell FAQ Wiki under spam attack - action needed

Post by rcain »

Hi,

I dont know who's looking after http://www.ohiovr.com/polywell-faq/ but currently it has over 1150 separate pages containing spam. see eg: http://www.ohiovr.com/polywell-faq/inde ... onelyPages

i just tried to delete one (by inserting {{delete| reason }} at top of page content) - but i think only administrators can actually delete. more important i think is stopping these people gaining access in the first place - they are continuiing to add new spam as we speak!

this thread/post follows from conversation on thread:

viewtopic.php?t=3047&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Is there an admin in the house please?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Only people that are enabled to post on Talk-Polywell should be enabled to post on the Wiki.
As an alternative the same procedure that is required to post on Talk-Polywell should be enabled on the Wiki page.
Like that you can keep almost all of the spammers and of the spam bots out.

rcain

Post by rcain »

i agree. alternatively, users might only be granted access if they provide a short appplication letter/email explaining their interest/background in fusion/science. i know Focus Fusion use such a procedure for access to their forums.

WOA! stop press! looks like someone has just deleted all the proper Polywell pages! A malicious intruder.

Who here is actually looking after Wiki admin?
Last edited by rcain on Mon May 09, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The wiki is not part of Talk Polywell that I am aware of. Maybe post this to General where it will get more attention.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rcain

Post by rcain »

yes i'm aware that the Wiki is separate from talkPolywell. records on wiki show that Kiteman and TallDave seem to be major contributors. I will pm him.