Search issues.

Discuss the talk-polywell site itself, including appearance, policies, and help-wanted requests from the administrators.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Search issues.

Post by Giorgio »

I posted a news on the news section today, and I did a search for part of the URL I was going to put in the news to be sure that the news was not already present.

I made a search for: "fti.neep.wisc.edu" and for "iec2009"

The search returned o results, but after some hours I realized that the very same link was already posted in another thread.
viewtopic.php?t=1684

Are there some search issues in the forum or did I make something wrong?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

IEC2009 doesn't get any hits, but 2009 and IEC do. You can find those recent threads by limiting search to past 7 days. So something is hiding iec2009 and fti.neep.wisc.edu from the search. Using *iec2009* doesn't work either. Searching for other non-url words in that topic, e.g. *Etern* or *Octob*, does find that topic.

edit - and specific multiple-word strings don't seem to work. "Power scales" returns separate hits of "power" and "scales".

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

I find it easier and more reliable to just use google, by using the site modifier:
iec2009 fti.neep.wisc.edu site:talk-polywell.org

Advantages:
+ phrases in quotes "like this" work properly
+ Google takes you direct to the individual page, whereas phpBB search just takes you to the thread, which may have multiple pages you need to search through
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

You can make the forum search get you directly to the keywords by specifying results in post rather than thread form. Also options to specify number of characters per post given in results, etc.

Some of the exact strings do work.

I'd use both native search and google. Main fault with google search, in my exp., is often enough having to wade thru lots of results. So it evens out with native search in that respect. You can cut down on time by using browser's "ctrl-f", if visual seeking is too slow.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Don't know if it's a temporary hiccup, but at the time of this post, searching for "fusion" or "polywell" gives zero results. Search set to look in both title and body, all forums and all dates.