Some News On Superconductors

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

JohnP wrote:Would pumping up the B field (regardless of the tech used) be a cheaper way of testing scaling vs building a bigger (larger radius) prototype? I mean, couldn't EMC2 either crank up the current on their existing coils or retrofit WB7 with more powerful coils?

Or is B field scaling a given, and R scaling what's in question?
The most important question is the steady state question. Second most important is: BB or BG fusions.

Steady state operation would dispose of both questions.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

dch24

Post by dch24 »

Sorry, I feel like I'm being slow on the uptake, but can I ask --
MSimon wrote:1 Mw ~ 1,000 hp. So trucks powered by fusion reactors may be in the cards. If the radiation issues can be worked out.
What radiation issues? The heat load on the coils?
MSimon wrote:The most important question is the steady state question. Second most important is: BB or BG fusions.
What is BB and BG fusion? Did I miss that discussion?

Munchausen

Post by Munchausen »

In principle, yes. There have been a number of detailed tokamak reactor studies, including sensitivity analyses. Surprisingly, the economics are hardly changed by the assumption that the critical field of the superconductors can be significantly raised. There are too many other constraints that also enter in, such as the mechanics of containing the magnetic forces and the thermal loading on the first wall.
Apparently, there is going to be no easy victories in fusion. May a raised critical field make smaller and less costly experiments possible? Thereby hastening the research?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

dch24 wrote:Sorry, I feel like I'm being slow on the uptake, but can I ask --
MSimon wrote:1 Mw ~ 1,000 hp. So trucks powered by fusion reactors may be in the cards. If the radiation issues can be worked out.
What radiation issues? The heat load on the coils?
MSimon wrote:The most important question is the steady state question. Second most important is: BB or BG fusions.
What is BB and BG fusion? Did I miss that discussion?
pBj is a neutron producer. About 4 or 5 orders of magnitude less than D-T or D-D but still a neutron producer. Side reactions.

BB = Beam - Beam
BG = Beam - Gas
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:pBj is a neutron producer.
I presume pBj is NOT peanut Butter and jelly, but proton Boron11, by what code uses j=11?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote:pBj is a neutron producer.
I presume pBj is NOT peanut Butter and jelly, but proton Boron11, by what code uses j=11?
p = protons
B = Boron
j = joules

It is something I came up with about a year or a year and a half ago when we were trying to figure out the official sandwich of the BFR team. So yes. You got the joke.

dch24

Post by dch24 »

MSimon wrote:pBj is a neutron producer. About 4 or 5 orders of magnitude less than D-T or D-D but still a neutron producer. Side reactions.

BB = Beam - Beam
BG = Beam - Gas
Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks!

Are the calculations (cross section, etc.) for side chain reactions in a pBj machine based on the assumption of a neutral, thermalized plasma?

I think with the energy distribution of the polywell there might be a slight downtick in the amount of side-chain reactions.

Well, I guess I agree with you, MSimon, more experiments are needed to clarify exactly what is happening in there. :-)

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

MSimon wrote:
Art Carlson wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:The WB7 was about .3T if memory serves. Thus a 100T unit of the same size would be about 333^4 ~ 10^10 as powerful at the same size. Of course, there may be no way to contain that power...
I dunno. Instead of 2 neutrons, we'd have 2*10^10 neutrons? 2 mJ? I think we could handle it. :wink:
Nice Art. But I think given the detection efficiency, included angle, etc each detected neutron is worth 3,000 produced neutrons. So you are up to 6 J in 1/4 mS. That would be 24,000 watts. Still not overwhelming. But a step in the right direction. You go up to 1 m diam coils and that puts you up around 860,000 W. A step up to 3 m coils and you are at 23 MW. Assuming you can keep the field constant while increasing the coil diameter. Which is not a given.

Of course the vacuum chamber might need a tad of stiffening to contain the forces generated by the opposing fields.

And then there is the small question of: will it work steady state. So a point or two in your favor.
Mabe I'm confused (it wouldn't be the first time). But, I thought the WB6 produced ~ 3 detected neutrons in each of several submillisecond runs. Considering detecter effeciency (~1/3000?) would give ~ 9,000 neutrons hitting the detecter, and considering the small area of the detecter plus the distance gives the isotropic neutron production, and then converting to neutrons per second gave reported values of ~ 1 billion neutrons per second. This is ~ 0.001 Watts. Increasing that by the 10th power would result in. 10,000,000 Watts. Of course if you are staying in 1 millisecond pulse conditions the output would be ~ 10,000 Watts per test. Or not...

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I was just running with Art's numbers and his 1E10 improvement factor.

It is probably all bogus anyway.

We await real numbers from Rick N.