MTF Illustration

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

katana0182 wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Roger wrote:GreenGirl, Polywell would make liquid fuels quaint. DO you mean the Polywell monies?
At our current level of technology (say the next 100 years) liquid fuels will not be quaint. They may be displaced in autos and ships in the next 50 to 75 years (it will be difficult), but displacing them in aircraft is going to be really tough.

What is more likely is that a Polywell will make the mfg. of liquid fuels on a par with drilling for them.
Aircraft, well, you never know, possibly good ol' Mr. Fission might be able to help, if it can be made safe.

A jet engine just requires heat, I think - it doesn't care where it gets its heat from, so long as it's compact - could be a liquid salt - like thorium fluoride... But that'll require some hearts to change as well as minds.
Temperature matters.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

katana0182 wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Roger wrote:GreenGirl, Polywell would make liquid fuels quaint. DO you mean the Polywell monies?
At our current level of technology (say the next 100 years) liquid fuels will not be quaint. They may be displaced in autos and ships in the next 50 to 75 years (it will be difficult), but displacing them in aircraft is going to be really tough.

What is more likely is that a Polywell will make the mfg. of liquid fuels on a par with drilling for them.
Aircraft, well, you never know, possibly good ol' Mr. Fission might be able to help, if it can be made safe.

A jet engine just requires heat, I think - it doesn't care where it gets its heat from, so long as it's compact - could be a liquid salt - like thorium fluoride... But that'll require some hearts to change as well as minds.
Every time I think of Polywell and aircraft at the same time I think of L. Neal Smith's fusion powered derigible the CS(?) San Francisco; a mile long lighter-than-air ship powered by fusion. Passengers lifted by shuttle so it never has to land.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
katana0182 wrote:
MSimon wrote: At our current level of technology (say the next 100 years) liquid fuels will not be quaint. They may be displaced in autos and ships in the next 50 to 75 years (it will be difficult), but displacing them in aircraft is going to be really tough.

Every time I think of Polywell and aircraft at the same time I think of L. Neal Smith's fusion powered derigible the CS(?) San Francisco; a mile long lighter-than-air ship powered by fusion. Passengers lifted by shuttle so it never has to land.
http://www.newyorker.com/online/2008/06 ... showHeader
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

passenger66

Nuclear plane

Post by passenger66 »

KitemanSA

Re: Nuclear plane

Post by KitemanSA »