Press Release: BlackLight Power signs first commercial deal.

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

just_an_observer

Post by just_an_observer »

Here's the page with the press release on it - it's a word document (Can't they just put it on the web page?) There's really not much there other than an announcement, and they do name the company that has licensed it:

http://www.blacklightpower.com/new.shtml

Estacado Energy Services in New Mexico

Estacado is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Roosevelt County Electric Cooperative

http://www.rcec.org/

http://www.rcec.org/rcechome/geninfo.htm

Their website looks like a "real nice professional" operation. There's nothing on rcec.org that I could find that indicates a link to Estacado and Estacado has no website of it's own.

The thing that should not be maybe? Of course, it's just a license, so whether anything actually gets built remains to be seen. Anyone can buy a license for just about anything these days - would be nicer if they had waited until something was built and actually doing something before making announcements.

nferguso

Why New Mexico?

Post by nferguso »

Why New Mexico? I might have a clue. The utility area is East-Central New Mexico (includes Portales), which is about 100 miles East of Albuquerque. What's in Albuquerque? The University of New Mexico.

"One of the most supportive scientists is Jonathan Phillips, a professor in the mechanical engineering department of the University of New Mexico. Mr Phillips, who says he has received consulting fees from Blacklight, sees Dr. Mills’s work as profound." - New Energy Times, http://www.newenergytimes.com/Inthenews ... andIre.htm

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

I'll believe the Blacklight Power process once I see an commercial generator. I wish them well, but I am very skeptical about them.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

If there Blaclights energy requires a fail in quantum mechanics I give could fusion better odds.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

IDK, last time we heard they were "funded" it turned out to be a bit of a shell game.

Anyways, I'm not buying fractional electron states without a LOT more evidence.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah funding does not automatically make their theories more believeable.
If (!) this thing really ever turns into something that works (and I mean really repeatably and testably works with margins larger than measurement tollerances), then it would sure make for some interesting research material as to why it does work (who says their theory is right anyway?). Until then, I feel thrilled by the fact that someone else is about to spend their money into finding out whether it does work ;)

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

If the Blacklight theory was more coherent it would receive academic attention - but it is not. Given the background of its inventor that is not surprising.

It is always possible that some completely new aspect of Physics is manifested just in the effects this company has been studying. Whether they have coherent theory of not. But I see the chances of this as being vanishingly small, alas.

Which means that if they do have interesting experimnetal results they will never (vanishingly unlikely) scale to be useful in the way that Blacklight claim hope.

Tom

Helius

Post by Helius »

tomclarke wrote:If the Blacklight theory was more coherent it would receive academic attention - but it is not. Given the background of its inventor that is not surprising.

It is always possible that some completely new aspect of Physics is manifested just in the effects this company has been studying. Whether they have coherent theory of not. But I see the chances of this as being vanishingly small, alas.

Which means that if they do have interesting experimnetal results they will never (vanishingly unlikely) scale to be useful in the way that Blacklight claim hope.

Tom
If I were to bet, I'd bet on endothermic reverse beta "decay" combined with neutron absorption. If you end up with much Helium built up from Hydrogen when all is said and done, then you can end up with some exothermic result. No Coulomb barriers breached. I'd guess most neutrons get absorbed by nuclei of the metals. Perhaps some beta decay is then likely too. There are probably Alphas. I'll bet this happens on the surface of metallic lattices, so it happens slightly more consistently with metallic powers rather than in electrolytic cells since powders have greater surface area. Blacklight uses powders rather than cells.

After a couple of decades, the results are still random and inconsistent. The Metallic powder will need to be changed between experiments. I'm not interested in this as an energy source, but I'd like to see if someone could gather more consistent data.

If we got to see more heat balance experiments, I'd rather they'd be endothermic only, gross under unity experiments. Energy in > Energy out. I wonder if the balance is equal to a specific count of antineutrinos? Would the energy "lost" be an interesting quantity?

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

I spent a while recently (for fun) studying the continuing cold fusion results and the recent peer review, together with commentaries.

Overall conclusion - there are some interesting effects but no evidence of nuclear reactions. It is amazing to me how tenaciously CF advocates hold to the fact of CF when the experiments have not significantly developed in 10 years - if there were some real effect you would expect new and better ways of observing it to have been found.

Blacklight I suspect will be the same thing - there is not nearly enough data on their experiments to conclude that the exothermic effect they observe is anything non-standard.

Best wishes, Tom

just_an_observer

CNN - Commercial Plant at least 5 years away

http://money.cnn.com/video/#/video/news ... 8.cnnmoney

New Video on CNN about Blacklight and their recent announcement

Video on CNN towards the end says that Blacklight is at least 5 years away from completing the power plant. Also mentions that other utility companies are saying they want to see a 250Kw version of Blacklights device before they are interested - their current prototype is 50Kw.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Is there some way to keep these Blacklight trolls off this board? Please? These guys are scam artists!

just_an_observer

I take offense to that comment

Scareduck,

As a polywell enthusiast and supporter, I have just as much right to post information about other technologies as anybody else on this board.

I resent you calling me a blacklight troll. I've seen others post information on blacklight before and only posted updates because others appear to be interested in them. Regardless of what you as in individual think about blacklight's claims, others appear to be interested in the ongoing story and how it plays out, even it if is ultimately proven false. I don't have an opinion either way about Blacklight. I just think they seem to generate a lot of news considering most people think they have nothing. If you don't want to read the updates, then don't. I could care less. You've expressed your opinion that you don't want to see them. Fine. However, I haven't seen any rules that prohibit information about blacklight being posted here.

Finally, You need to shut your mouth when it comes to calling others blacklight trolls. It's rude, offensive, and name calling servers no purpose here.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:Is there some way to keep these Blacklight trolls off this board? Please? These guys are scam artists!
Please be civil sir. Because if you aren't I will post another strongly worded condemnation. ;-)
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

Would not the more appropriate place for announcements about Blacklight Power, focus fusion, and the like be in the "general" section? This is the polywell board and news should be limited to the polywell concept. Or a new section could be created, called "other possibilities".

MSimon

Re: I take offense to that comment

Post by MSimon »

just_an_observer wrote:Finally, You need to shut your mouth when it comes to calling others blacklight trolls. It's rude, offensive, and name calling servers no purpose here.
Please be civil sir. Because if you aren't I will post another strongly worded condemnation. ;-)
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.