ITER vs the Stone Axe

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

If ignition can be reached, even inside a machine that can't hold together for long enough for remotely economic energy-production, then a major psychological barrier towards investment in and development of, nuclear fusion will have been overcome.
I think the larger psychological barrier to investment involves whether tokamaks can ever be economically competitive.
I strongly believe that the success of ITER will have a positive impact in all areas of fusion research.
Or it will simultaneously discredit the idea of economic fusion power and suck up money that could have gone to alternate approaches.
Because the other approaches are so far away from burning plasmas developing them is like drawing lots. We could spend the rest of eternity fiddling around with an endless number of low-energy non-ignitable plasmas and not funding any of them on to the next level.
I have to point out again the flaw in this logic: tokamaks are further along because vastly more money has been pumped into them.

This might be like two men trying to develop a trade route to China in pre-industrial times, one of whom wants to get there by digging a hole, while the other wants to build a ship. The first man receives 90% of the funding, the other begins building a ship and trying to map how long the voyage will be. After a year, the hole gets deeper and deeper, and the first man says "Look at all the progress we've made! We're hundreds of feet closer; the other guy hasn't gotten an inch closer yet!"

Given that the ITER path has very little chance of being useful even if it does work, the fact it's more likely to work isn't a big incentive to build it. And we could do materials testing for a lot less than $20B.

I'm not against ITER per se, and I hope it does get built. But we can fund 10 other approaches at WB-100 levels for the same money, and if we have to choose between one or the other I don't think that's a hard choice.
Last edited by TallDave on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

jmc
"And I guarantee you, when another device is developed which is capable of economic fusion, they will utilize heat and fuelling technologies developed for ITER aswell as plasma facing materials and neutron shields developed by this programme."

This isn't at all obvious, and I think you're wrong. The only reason that Tokamaks require exotic heating schemes is because ohmic heating fails for them. RFPs and Spheromaks use ohmic ignition, as do a number of other devices. It's these exotic technologies along with the neutron-based materials problems that run up the cost of conventional fusion. If you have to use them, then you have probably already lost the battle for an economic device.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, my friend from back when (he used to work at JET before he went to ITER), told me soon after they started working on ITER, that one of their biggest challanges will be in material sciences. This Tokamak and the environment created in it, is just going to be a challenge for any material.
JET did have some pretty good successes btw. I cant quite remember anymore, I was some 12 years old or so back then (I had few friends of my own age and mostly hang arround with older people...dont ask), but I am very sure that he said, they made net power (of course not practically, but mathematically and then only for a few microseconds or something).
Anyway I remember how excited we were about that and the upcoming ITER back then. I have not talked to him in a long time (he has been traveling abroad so much), so I dont quite know what he is thinking now, but I do sense that the general excitement has worn off a lot since then (at least in me and my circle of friends that are interested).
The whole polywell thing was the first glimmer of light for a long time. I am still sceptical and so are all my friends, but it sure is the best news in a long time (well now it is not really news anymore, but it was, when I first heard of it).
So I cant wait for Dr. Nebels results.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I blame it on people wanting to eat.

If every one on the earth stopped eating that would leave plenty of money for fusion research.

And yeah greedy corporations are a problem. If we could get all of them to stop wanting to make a profit there would be plenty left over for fusion.

Or how about using the money left over from cleaning up waste, fraud, and abuse in government. There always seems to be a lot of money available from working on that. At least that is what the politicians tell us every 2 or 4 years in America.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rcain

Post by rcain »

MSimon wrote:I blame it on people wanting to eat.

If every one on the earth stopped eating that would leave plenty of money for fusion research.

And yeah greedy corporations are a problem. If we could get all of them to stop wanting to make a profit there would be plenty left over for fusion.

Or how about using the money left over from cleaning up waste, fraud, and abuse in government. There always seems to be a lot of money available from working on that. At least that is what the politicians tell us every 2 or 4 years in America.
..i think that's called 'Trolling', isn't it ;)

to SkipJack: I think one of Dr Bussard's greatest last achievements was raising public awareness of Fusion Research again at a time when it was flagging; I'm thinking of his Google lecture, etc, viral/meme effect.

to Rick Nebel: do we even know yet whether the Navy have decided to name a date, at which they will name a date, at which a public announcement might be made?

(not that we're getting desperate for news or anything :) )

also, has anyone heard from the group in Australia?
As I recall they had completed some preliminary Pollywell tests of their own?

re: the article - i think one of the other more profound points it made was to introduce the concept of the 'scale' of an undertaking. measurable in human lifetimes; the relationship between technology/application-led science and fundamental research, expedience vs vision.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

rcain wrote:also, has anyone heard from the group in Australia?
As I recall they had completed some preliminary Pollywell tests of their own?
Hello rcain,

I haven't spoken to Joe Khachan in a couple of months. At present I'm not in Sydney, but when I return I'll see what he has to say.

Regards,
Tony Barry

jmc

Post by jmc »

rnebel wrote:jmc
"And I guarantee you, when another device is developed which is capable of economic fusion, they will utilize heat and fuelling technologies developed for ITER aswell as plasma facing materials and neutron shields developed by this programme."

This isn't at all obvious, and I think you're wrong. The only reason that Tokamaks require exotic heating schemes is because ohmic heating fails for them. RFPs and Spheromaks use ohmic ignition, as do a number of other devices. It's these exotic technologies along with the neutron-based materials problems that run up the cost of conventional fusion. If you have to use them, then you have probably already lost the battle for an economic device.
As far as I've heard RFPs and spheromaks are horrendously unstable and so probably won't achieve ignition anyway. I take your point that we won't necessarily use all of the technologies in an alternative fusion scheme, but I think we'll probably use some of them, which ones I obviously can't predict since we don't know what this other approach is yet.

At the end of the day, the more tools for heating and fueling fusion plasmas that can reliably be developed, the quicker any new fusion scheme can be tested in fusion relevant conditions.

Regarding neutrons, while we may never develop materials that can have long lives and remain economic under DT conditions, if we use D-He3, or D-D we may well require materials that can sustain, fairly punishing continual neutron damage (I still think the possibility of beating the bremstrahlung in p-B is far from certain ) not to mention damage on plasma facing components. Bring a tokamak like ITER to the burning plasma phase at least places these issues of material development on the agenda.

Also this is a device where a great deal of effort has already gone into the design of. I don't like the idea of scrapping it and essentially wasting all that effort and destroying a device which has the capability to achieve burning plasmas.

jmc

Post by jmc »

TallDave wrote:
If ignition can be reached, even inside a machine that can't hold together for long enough for remotely economic energy-production, then a major psychological barrier towards investment in and development of, nuclear fusion will have been overcome.
1)I think the larger psychological barrier to investment involves whether tokamaks can ever be economically competitive.
I strongly believe that the success of ITER will have a positive impact in all areas of fusion research.
2)Or it will simultaneously discredit the idea of economic fusion power and suck up money that could have gone to alternate approaches.
Because the other approaches are so far away from burning plasmas developing them is like drawing lots. We could spend the rest of eternity fiddling around with an endless number of low-energy non-ignitable plasmas and not funding any of them on to the next level.
3)I have to point out again the flaw in this logic: tokamaks are further along because vastly more money has been pumped into them.

This might be like two men trying to develop a trade route to China in pre-industrial times, one of whom wants to get there by digging a hole, while the other wants to build a ship. The first man receives 90% of the funding, the other begins building a ship and trying to map how long the voyage will be. After a year, the hole gets deeper and deeper, and the first man says "Look at all the progress we've made! We're hundreds of feet closer; the other guy hasn't gotten an inch closer yet!"

Given that the ITER path has very little chance of being useful even if it does work, the fact it's more likely to work isn't a big incentive to build it. And we could do materials testing for a lot less than $20B.

4)I'm not against ITER per se, and I hope it does get built. But we can fund 10 other approaches at WB-100 levels for the same money, and if we have to choose between one or the other I don't think that's a hard choice.
1) That is the second psychological barrier, but I think the second psychological barrier is one private enterprise might take on once the first way successfully passed. If you ask for money to develop an economic fusion device from an investor, the first question he might ask you is "is controlled fusion even possible, I thought they were at it for 50 years and never even achieved any success", if you can point to a device that has already achieved burning plasmas, point out what aspects of its design make it uneconomic and then explain how your rival idea addresses these economic issues. I think you'll get a longer audience then if the possibility of controlled nuclear fusion itself is still up in the air.

Remember a lot of people aren't even sure whether fusion is possible at all. I remember when this forum was first established, many people who posted here weren't aware that JET almost achieved DT breakeven. If we cancel ITER it may be interpreted by the wider non-scientific community as a concession of defeat, as proof that a burning plasma cannot be achieved and as a result could hurt fusion across the board.

2) That's a fair point, in our student meeting I remember the then head of Culham said "If ITER isn't successful, fusion is finished." This comment disturbed me and I pointed out that there are other potentially succesful approaches even if the tokamak doesn't work. I'm glad that the USA is saving is fusion funding for investment in other approaches, but I think its good that ITER is being built by someone, otherwise there'd be a good chance that fusion could lose momentum, like the breeder reactor program.

3) That's true, and if thirty years ago someone asked me "should we cut our funding in all these other programmes for tokamaks?" I don't think I would have, but what's done is done. Tokamak's have recieved more funding that the other approaches and there is far more experimental data supporting the feasibility of ITER as a burning plasma device than any other concept (again due to lack of funding for the others). Plasmas are inherently unpredictable and incalculable, as a result they have the capacity to suprise and the suprises are generally nasty. A proposed burning plasma device with less experimental data backing it has a much larger capacity to deliver unpleasant surprises with worse than predicted performance. I won't believe that a rival concept on paper has a high chance of delivering a burning plasma until I see it, once I see those neutrons I'm all for scrapping ITER, but we shouldn't scrap ITER for a fantasy, we should pursue it and other smaller scale approaches in tandem.

4) ITER or 10 other small scale approaches which together cost a similar budget but whose physical behaviour is far far less well understood and are much more likely to dissappoint?

I think I'd rather fund ITER along with 3 to 5 of those small scale operations it would only add 30% to the fusion budget. Don't forget if all of those 10 lower budget approaches hit dead ends that would strike a tremendously damaging blow to the fusion programme.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Skipjack wrote:of course not practically, but mathematically and then only for a few microseconds or something.
I'm pretty sure the produce a fusion output power of 16MW from the emerging neutrons, this was ~65% of the power used to inject heat into the plasma. This did not take into account heat dissipated by the copper coils in JET (which was 50 times greater) because in principle a future fusion device could be made out of superconductors. This power was sustained for about 4 or 5 seconds (1 second=1,000,000 microseconds).

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

65% is not net power and I will go and call the guy up if I have to, because I am very, very sure that they achieved net power for a very, very short time. That was the sensation about it back then, I am very sure that I am not wrong here. I think I will call my friend up now and ask him for confirmation.
Oh and I know how long a microsecond is. I used that for emphasising that I meant a very short time, not literally. I do not know anymore for how long it really was.

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

JMC:
“As far as I've heard RFPs and spheromaks are horrendously unstable and so probably won't achieve ignition anyway.”
This is another self-fulfilling prophecy which has been promoted by the people in the Tokamak community. In the late 80s Los Alamos was building a large RFP called ZT-H. It was about a comparable scale as the PPPL PLT experiment, namely a device to produce ~ 1-10 keV plasmas. It was about a $90 million machine. However, in late 1990 the fusion program got hit with a Gramm-Rudman budget cut. Even though ZT-H was ~ 80%-90% complete and appeared as a line item in the budget, the OFES management decided to cancel the project so they could “save CIT”, a paper Tokamak that was an ITER precursor. In short, they flushed something like $70 million dollars down the toilet without getting any data from ZT-H so they could maintain a Tokamak design program which was never approved to be built. And that’s not even the worst of it. They closed MFTF-B at LLNL the same day it opened without getting any data from it. That one cost ~ $500,000,000 +. In short, when the Tokamak program gets in trouble somebody else gets to take the fall. That’s why they are the dominant program in the fusion community.
So, is your assertion that RFPs and Spheromaks are “horrendously unstable” correct? Not if you program them correctly. If you want to see how to eliminate the kink and tearing modes in RFPs and Spheromaks, take a look at:
R. A. Nebel, D. D. Schnack, T. A. Gianakon, "Self-Similar, Tearing Mode Stable RFP
Profiles as Attractors in Three Dimensional Magnetohydrodynamic Dynamics",
Physics of Plasmas 9, 4968 (2002).

or the earlier work:

E. J. Caramana, R. A. Nebel, "Reversed-Field Pinch Ohmic Equilibria During Current Decay and Termination", Phys Fluids 31, 3322 (1988).
These results are consistent with the trends observed during PPCD discharges on the UW MST device as well as the so-called “quiescent phase” observed in Zeta in the late 60s.

I really don’t mean to go off on you, JMC, as I know you are a student and aren’t familiar with these things, but I have had to put up with this kind of arrogant horse hockey from the Tokamak community for 30 years and it’s getting a bit tiresome.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Jesus, I was shocked about that big Tandem Mirror that got built and was trashed before it fired a single shot. I wasn't aware that this happened to reversed field pinches aswell. I would never condone shutting down a machine or science project that is halfway to completion before seeing any data.

Maybe some people in the tokamak community do have blood on their hands. But the problem here is tearing down and strangling off funding for large, next-step fusion reactors that have been painstakingly designed and are ready to go, before they even get built. That applies to RPFs and Tandem mirrors, but also to ITER. If there were other, rival fusion projects, projected to produce fusion plasmas that were up and running or ready to go that had to get slashed for ITER, then there would be a case for cancelling ITER in favour of them. But as far as I'm aware there are no such large projects in the pipeline (If a Polywell power plant really costs 100 million then its not going to sap the ITER budget anyhow). At the end of the day if rival fusion factions keep finding reasons not to build fusion reactors capable of producing net power, then such a reactor will never get built. Right now, ITER is the project that looks like it has enough momentum to allow it to actually get built and if it does and works it will probably lead to increased funding for fusion across the board.

The longer scientists spend researching fusion without producing any net power, the more the general public will doubt whether such a thing is even possible.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Skipjack wrote:65% is not net power and I will go and call the guy up if I have to, because I am very, very sure that they achieved net power for a very, very short time. That was the sensation about it back then, I am very sure that I am not wrong here. I think I will call my friend up now and ask him for confirmation.
Oh and I know how long a microsecond is. I used that for emphasising that I meant a very short time, not literally. I do not know anymore for how long it really was.
http://www.efda.org/the_iter_project/in ... o_iter.htm

"A value of Q smaller than 1 means that more power is needed to heat the plasma than is generated by fusion. JET, presently the largest tokamak in the world, has reached Q=0.65, near the point of "break even" (Q=1). ITER has to be able to momentarily produce Q=10, and Q larger then 5 during a longer period."

I'm pretty sure that the period it reached 0.65 for was about 4 seconds.

65% is not breakeven, but considering the smaller tokamaks consumed thousands of times more heating power then they produced its a considerable improvement, within throwing distance atleast.

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

JMC:
First of all, let me reiterate that even though I’m not a big fan of ITER we’re not out to shut it down. The ITER people spent a long time building a consensus in the fusion program to build that machine and it wouldn’t be right for me to try to impose my opinions on them. If people want to work on ITER, I don’t have a problem with that.
However, I think it is worth taking a look at how the Tokamak got where it is. The first energy crisis was in the early 70s and there was a huge push for new energy sources which meant opportunities for fusion. However, at the same time John Nuckolls was making a lot of noise about ICF which was relatively new. The people in the Office of Fusion Energy (which was managed by Hirsch, Trivelpiece and Bussard) decided that if they were going to compete with the ICF people, they had to have a device which could get to breakeven in a big hurry.
Harold Furth (PPPL) suggested the TCT (for two-component torus) as a solution. The idea is that beam-target fusion can show net gain if the target is hot enough (this has similarities to the Polywell nonthermal plasma issues) so if you use neutral beam injection into a Tokamak plasma you can get a lot of performance at a reasonable cost. The TCT is what eventually became TFTR.
Thus, the neutral beam Tokamak was chosen for expediency, not because it made a good fusion machine. There is a wonderful caricature of Dr. Bussard in my office which was apparently given to him when he left the office of fusion energy in 1976. He has two phones to his ears and he is saying “But Harold, even if the TCT does work solar power may be the winner. Hello? Hello?”
Consequently, you can see that the issue of whether you can make something useful with a Tokamak has been ignored for a long time. They knew there were issues with it before they committed the program to Tokamaks. However, something was needed near term that had a high probability of getting to breakeven or at least close to it.
There is also another lesson from this worth noting. NIF is very likely (almost certainly) going to operate before ITER does. If NIF hits ignition, it’s going to put a lot of pressure on ITER. Politics is at least as important as technical issues in these decisions.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Dr. Nebel, I like what you are saying :)
And competition is always good. It makes people work harder.
I get a problem when politics give an unfair advantage to one competitor. This is something that happens quite often here in Austria. ITER clearly seems to have at least a little bit of that advantage (or an awful lot, guess it depends on who you ask ;) )