News As of October 2008

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

News As of October 2008

Post by MSimon »

Time for a new thread since the last one got munged up by politics.

And I'm a day early - so sue me. ;-)

=

On topic. I can officially report as of this moment that I have nothing to report.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

You know, I clicked on this thread hoping there was NEWS here.

:roll:
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

jormungandr

Post by jormungandr »

I also was hoping for some news, you nasty nasty man!
:(

frog

Post by frog »

Really! Almost as bad as an offer of a glass of dust to one thirsting for cool WATER. :roll:

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Simon, I really jumped at this post! Ah, well ... patience is a virtue I am still learning.

Regards,
Tony Barry

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

tonybarry wrote:Simon, I really jumped at this post! Ah, well ... patience is a virtue I am still learning.

Regards,
Tony Barry
Tony,

You are the instigator here. You said the other thread was getting too political. So the obvious thing to do was to start a new thread.

It seemed so logical at the time.

Simon
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Hello Simon,

Yes you are correct: so in place of political spam I am now making this thread full of nothing spam.

Ye who abhor idols, do ye rob temples?

Sorry :)

Regards,
Tony Barry

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

tonybarry wrote:Hello Simon,

Yes you are correct: so in place of political spam I am now making this thread full of nothing spam.

Ye who abhor idols, do ye rob temples?

Sorry :)

Regards,
Tony Barry
One of these days I'm going to start thinking more like a human.

Simon

blaisepascal

Post by blaisepascal »

To be fair, the thread this is continuing was titled "Any official news as of late July 2008?", a question. This thread is titles "News as of October 2008", a noun-phrase.

People seeing the first subject don't expect news to be there immediately; someone is asking for it, not announcing it.

The second sounds like an announcement.

It could have been fixed by a question mark.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

There is no news. There will be no news.

Polywell is a non-starter, the dream of a man who was a better salesman than a physicist.

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

scareduck wrote:There is no news. There will be no news.

Polywell is a non-starter, the dream of a man who was a better salesman than a physicist.
Obviously your just trying to start an argument...

Aero

Post by Aero »

If you want to argue, consider that EEStor has been far more open and forthcoming about their energy storage units than has EMC2 about their device. Note that we are not even sure their device exists. Who has seen it other than pictures that could be WB-6? And we only have the word of one respectable person who says that it runs like a top. At least with EEStor's unit, we have the word of at least four respectable people that it does work. That is, ZENN, LightEV, LM and EESTor themselves.

It's looking more and more like the BFR has never had a chance of working and the Navy just discovered that fact in a very embarrassing peer review process so the Navy has set out to bury all evidence of the existance of this waste of money as deeply as possible. The project may even be classified secret to stave off further embarrassment to the Navy and we will all be old and grey before a further hint of what happened with polywell research surfaces.

So, if you want to argue, argue that! EEStor's energy storage units have been developed more openly and have a better chance of technical success than the BFR.
Aero

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

Aero wrote:If you want to argue, consider that EEStor has been far more open and forthcoming about their energy storage units than has EMC2 about their device. Note that we are not even sure their device exists. Who has seen it other than pictures that could be WB-6? And we only have the word of one respectable person who says that it runs like a top. At least with EEStor's unit, we have the word of at least four respectable people that it does work. That is, ZENN, LightEV, LM and EESTor themselves.

It's looking more and more like the BFR has never had a chance of working and the Navy just discovered that fact in a very embarrassing peer review process so the Navy has set out to bury all evidence of the existance of this waste of money as deeply as possible. The project may even be classified secret to stave off further embarrassment to the Navy and we will all be old and grey before a further hint of what happened with polywell research surfaces.

So, if you want to argue, argue that! EEStor's energy storage units have been developed more openly and have a better chance of technical success than the BFR.
Well there are some BIG differences, the EMC2 polywell is a test rig and no one is saying that it will be the next revolution or that it will solve the energy crisis. There's no reason for EMC2 to lie or even misguide at this stage. Now if they said that it they achieved energy outputs a 100 times of what they put in and shrunk it down to a foot across and can sell them for $1000 a unit, well I would be just as skeptical of them as I am of EEStor.

Aero

Post by Aero »

gblaze42 wrote:
Well there are some BIG differences, the EMC2 polywell is a test rig and no one is saying that it will be the next revolution or that it will solve the energy crisis.
OH baloney, almost everyone on this forum is saying that!
gblaze42 wrote: There's no reason for EMC2 to lie or even misguide at this stage.
I didn't say EMC2 is lying or desembling, but they are a one contract firm and they do have every reason to. Its a meal ticket.
gblaze42 wrote: Now if they said that it they achieved energy outputs a 100 times of what they put in and shrunk it down to a foot across and can sell them for $1000 a unit, well I would be just as skeptical of them as I am of EEStor.
Are you trying to imply that EEStor might be streaching technology? Well, I'd be the first to admit that they are pushing the tech. But not unrealistically. Read some of the current literature. Compare to old technology. Ten times more power at half the cost of led-acid batteries. Compare to new technology. Twice the power at much better cost that lithium ion batteries. There is nothing unbelievable about that. What is unbelievable is the current state of research using screen and ink jet printing.
Aero

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Eestor are claiming 100X the energy density of anyone else using standard (i.e. not double-layer) capacitors. And 20X that of the best DL capacitors. There is no known physical mechanism for the polarisation they need for storage, and eestor have never provided any evidence that they have this, or proposed any new physics.

EMC2 are claiming that they have tested something and got some results. And submitting all those to peer review before making any claims.

Notice the difference?

Tom