Google offers $10M for ideas to better the world

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Google offers $10M for ideas to better the world

Post by JoeStrout »

Google's new Project 10^100 is an idea contest (not unlike the X PRIZE Foundation's "Crazy Green Ideas") offering up to $10M to fund ideas that will better the world.

Ideas are submitted in text form (with an optional 30-second video) by October 20th. Public voting will narrow the submissions down to 100, and then an advisory board will choose five final ideas.

Here's a news story on the project.

Polywell research would be well-suited to both of these contests, I should think. (I wonder if it would help that Bussard himself presented the polywell at Google?)

Best,
- Joe

P.S. If we could stop the whining about the silence from New Mexico, that'd be great. They'll tell us something when they can tell us something.
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

It's times like these I like google. They've done more interesting work without reasonable expectation of return than any other for-profit company I know of.

jormungandr

Post by jormungandr »

JohnSmith wrote:It's times like these I like google. They've done more interesting work without reasonable expectation of return than any other for-profit company I know of.
Didn't Dr. Bussard already pitch to them?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

jormungandr wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:It's times like these I like google. They've done more interesting work without reasonable expectation of return than any other for-profit company I know of.
Didn't Dr. Bussard already pitch to them?
No. But some BFR enthusiasts did. Nothing came of it. $10 million is not enough realistically. The next step - continuous operation of a WB-7 size unit for minutes is a $15 to $25 million project due to the cost of the power supplies. If that works out the supplies could be re-used in a WB-100 sized unit.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.