Dr Nebel and Long's current employment status?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

pfrit

Dr Nebel and Long's current employment status?

Post by pfrit »

The last that I heard, Dr. Nebel and Dr. Park were on leave from Los Alamos. The leave was supposed (I believe) to end in September. There are three posiblities, each with a number of sub-options. Since LANL is a government facility, their employment status is a matter of public record (unless their employment is black, in which case reading this post is a felony). I refuse to believe a lawyer would include their employment status in a NDA under these circumstances. The only potentialy legally sensitive info would be where they are working if they have quit or extended their leave.

So, does anyone know what they are currently doing? Does anyone who works at LANL know if they have called in?
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

It might be interesting to build a decision tree on the options. Forgive the format as visio is not supported here. :)

1. They have returned to LANL.

A. Returned to same jobs
a. Results were poor and/or Navy not interested in continueing.
b. Results good/mixed but Navy does plan any followup in the next 6 months or more.
c. They are going to let someone else do the work.

B. Returned to new jobs
a. LANL is going to take up the next level of work.
b. Exposure has enhanced or harmed their positions.

2. They announce that they are leaving.

A. They are now working at EMC2. New money coming anyday.

B. They are working somewhere esle
a. Joining new compant with the resources to handle new contract
b. Exposure has enhanced or harmed their reputations and took new jobs at higher pay or had no choice.
c. Working directly for the Navy. Great results that we won't hear about for years.

3. They extend their leaves.

A. Short time (1-3 months)
a. They need a vacation.
b. They are not sure what the Navy plans.

B. Long time (6-24 months)
a. Navy is not sold on 200 million project, but plans on a smaller followup.
b. Navy is sold on project and they want to continue their relationship with Los Alamos.

Any other reasonable possibilities?
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

Well, it is October. If I had money invested in this I would feel justified in calling Los Alamos and asking what Dr Nebel's employment status is. As it is, that would be just plain rude. So I will ask again in the hopes that Dr Nebel reads this and takes pity upon me, what is your current employment status?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I'm leaving a comment here so I can track the answer if there is one.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

We're still here.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Dr. Nebel (do I sense a German heritage here?), can you at least give the people here some releave with at least a perspective on when you believe you will get a notification on when you will be allowed to lift the data- embargo?
So no, I am not asking when we will get information, but I just want to know when you expect to know, when the results will be made public.
Or is even that date top secret, or unpredictable?

rnebel

Post by rnebel »

The reason we haven't made any comments is that there isn't anything new to say. We're still waiting. We don't know how long it will take. Understand that the US governments fiscal year ended September 30th. People in the government have beeen busy. This is also an election year, and regardless of how the election goes there will be a new administration. The fact that it's taking some time isn't a surprise. We expected that and we have planned for it. This has happened to EMC2 before.

P.S to Skipjack: Yes, the name is German. That's pretty common in the US.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Dr Nebel, thanks for the reply on everything. It is very appreciated.
So no unexpected delays in anything.
Thats at least good to know and I think it will keep people calmed for a while... well telling from previous threads, I would say for about 2 days or so ;)
I know that German names are still common in the US, my wife is from Pennsylvania and there is lots of "Pennsylvania dutch" (who are actually not dutch, but German) there. From your words I presume your family has been living in the US for a while already though.
Anyway thanks for the reply and I will make sure to keep checking in here ;)

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Heh, apparently it is pretty common. I have a Google Alert on Nebel + fusion, and I keep getting hits for techno in Germany.

Or possibly Rick is just more of a Renaissance man than I give him credit for.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

No, but "Nebel" is the German word for "fog" or "mist".
Now dont get confused now, because the German word "Mist" means manure or also garbage in English ;)
So parents resist the temptation to call your doughters Misty ;)

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Skipjack wrote:No, but "Nebel" is the German word for "fog" or "mist".
plasma?

:shock:

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Not sure what the question is, but the German word for plasma is Plasma, if that was the question.
So no strange name correlation here ;)

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

Thank you for your reply. If it is not too much to ask, can you say how much longer you are on leave now? If you can answer, I will forward this to the polywell page on the wikipedia. Unless one of the wiki people are reading this, that is.
Thank you again.
BTW, did you work at the old AEC? My dad was Seaborg's assistant and remembers Bob Hirsch and, to some extent, Dr Bussard. He gets a real kick from hearing about old coworkers.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Since the topic of music came up here is a bit you might like:

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... d-rap.html
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Solo

Post by Solo »

Thanks Dr. Nebel. I appreciate the information.

Now, the rest of you fellows will please cool your jets, ok! (But I have a feeling Skipjack is right about the 2 days ... *sigh*)