Fission news(I know blasphemy )

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Fission news(I know blasphemy )

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:59 am

First BURN IT,
then BURY IT!
As it happens, the waste everyone keeps fretting about (called Spent Nuclear Fuel (SNF) but which I like to call Lightly Used Fission Fuel (LUFF)) is actually about 97% perfectly good UNspent fuel and only about 3% real waste. The UNspent fuel should be extracted and used in any of the GEN IV+ designs that can consume it. The rest, the real waste, will then be as safe as the dirt it came from in about 300 years. The LUFF can be safely stored in dry casks until the UNspent fuel can be burned in one of those GEN IV+ reactors. The waste can then be encapsulated in some sort of container that will last for 300 years and I would then cement the capsules into the bottom of the mine it came out of (or any other suitable place) and bury it there.

raelik
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby raelik » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:48 pm

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 am

I, from my distant perspective, would not agree that regulation has sunk the fission nuclear industry. The obvious radiation problems, engieneering lies and multiple dire failures has. The management that has caused directly the most severe accidents has not helped either. A better perspective of what is possible may be in the Navy nuclear program. Much more tightly controlled, thanks in part to the uncompromising culture emplaced by Admiral Ricktover (sp?). The Navy may also have suppressed some information. Certainly the Russian Navy has an apparently less stellar record. The prior engineering and management failures have earned an appropriate suspicion concerning claims. New technology with very clear advantages and resistance to failure modes is critical.Vast improvements on what goes on when things are working is needed; as is, of course, much less dire failure modes.

This is where fusion has a large advantage. There is only a tiny amount of potential fuel in the reactor at anytime. Neutron activation is still very important (except for P-11B (where it is only mildly of concern). Fusion reactors might still produce spectacular failures- primarily in very large machines like low Beta tokamacks with their huge superconducting magnets. An uncontrolled quench could lead to a impressive explosion. Cleanup would be trivial compared to a typical fission plant reactor explosion, But, scattering reactor parts, including radioactive parts and tritium is possible. The financial costs would still be high in this case and the public may also be scared. Smaller reactors that are economical is important not only for building and operational concerns, but also for the impact of any failures real or perceived.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:10 am

The issue is, Dan, that the "obvious radiation problems" are part and parcel of those regulatory burdens that stem from a basic lie. That lie results in ALARA (As Low As REASONABLY Achievable) being implemeted as "As Low As Ridiculously Achievable). That costs BIG money.

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:15 am

Dan,
Your point about a "tiny amount of fuel" needed for fusion also applies to Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors (LFTRs). They only need as much fissile material as required to achieve criticality because the reactor can be continuously refueled. Don't refuel and the reactor stops.

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:55 pm

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:35 pm

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:46 am

When you have Molten Salt Reactor, you can have a continuous fission product removal system too. You almost need one to get to true breeding level with a Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor (LFTR). With such a FP removal system, they don't build up and they don't present a problem.

But even if you leave the products mostly in, the therml mass of the system can be o high that decay heat is not an issue.

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:47 am

RERT

Postby RERT » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:05 pm

The Thorcon reactor (root post) design has a plug at the low point of the primary fuel flow circuit, i.e. the flow of fission reactant. They say that if the flow overheats, the plug melts, and the reactant flows into a tub below called the 'Fuelsalt Drain Tank' (FDT). They make a point of saying that the operators cannot disable this feature. In the FDT the reaction is then expected to stop immediately because of lack of moderator, and the FDT is passively cooled to a safe shutdown. One would have to guess that they were serious enough to have included heating from waste decay in their calculations of passive cooling requirements.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 pm

The only real main advantage I see from the thorium reactors that are liquid-based is an things go bad they are relatively easy to contain and control. There will still be huge cost associated with cleanup but I unlike the Fukushima event cleanup can occur at the plants operators leisure rather than dictated by necessity. I think if going to have a nuclear proliferation of reactors that the safeguards or style of reactors, mandatory because let's face it when things go bad in a boiling point reactor, things go bad a boiling point reactor.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

There's a very simple design feature possible with molten core reactors, where if the cooling system fails the fuel automatically drains into a pan where the then subcritical mass has plenty of surface area to passively cool and remain at safe temperatures.

As for fission products, whether you remove them or leave them in the fuel, the heat they generate has to be removed. The particular fission products you'd most want to remove are fission poisons, the most prominent one being the noble gas Xenon, which is relatively easy to remove from molten fuel.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

RERT

Postby RERT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:20 am

A bunch of stuff I didn't know about the "linear no threshold" (LNT) hypothesis on radiation induced cancer, and how experts disagree. Also very interesting datapoint a on the lack of excess cancers due to higher background radiation, and a surprise from Taiwan on the benefits of low radiation levels (!?).

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 pm

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Return to “News”