Bill Gates is heading a $1 billion venture fund to combat climate change

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Bill Gates is heading a $1 billion venture fund to combat climate change

Postby Diogenes » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:03 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Diogenes » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:14 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:15 pm

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:15 pm

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:17 pm

RERT

Postby RERT » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:29 pm

Maui - thanks. Contact with one apparently sane human being makes trying to communicate worthwhile.

No, I'm not going to make a case for everyone with the same label as me. You can make your own judgements. I'm forced to confess to an overly sweeping generalisation regarding the character of sceptics and others, though I don't recall stating any group was perfect. Still, at least I might get a point for sweeping generalisation....

I think it's a shame that people have been worn down by the ferocity of the discussion, to the extent that engaging with a different view is now unusual, and usually ends badly, witness this thread. I end up back more or less where I started, which is that the world would be a better place with less screaming and name calling, and more polite consensus building.

On matters of substance: I was reading yesterday on the falling costs of Solar power. It does seem that in maybe 10 years, the cost per installed watt of Solar might be less than that for coal. Unfortunately the back of my envelope says that the cost of intermittency will still be vastly greater than the cost of fuel, if you take LIon batteries as the cure for intermittency. The problem is not so much the cost per kWh, but the restricted cycle life, which is off from where it needs to be by at least a factor of ten. So I think that a 'moonshot' to get batteries to $100/kWh with a 10,000 cycle life would enable grid storage, domestic storage, and be close to making EV competitive. (Though as far as I can see EV can never compete with $25/bbl oil)

Interested to hear your views.

kurt9

Postby kurt9 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:43 pm

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:52 pm

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:00 pm

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:07 pm

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:14 pm

— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:23 pm

— Lord Melbourne —

kunkmiester

Postby kunkmiester » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Evil is evil, no matter how small

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:47 pm

JoeP

Postby JoeP » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:04 pm

Dio, what is your point....that climatologist models do not account for changes in water vapor due to heat/pressure, and dynamic feedback as more heat is trapped; more/less cloud cover/reflection and such? I'm sure these are all fundamental to well designed models and the effects of are at least attempted to be accounted for. Seems like a basic requirement and I don't see how that would be overlooked.

Of course models can always use improvement for the sheer complexity and feedback loops in such a large solution space, but I doubt such a basic rule as the interaction between heat and water vapor pressure is not part of any serious one.

Return to “News”