Bill Gates is heading a $1 billion venture fund to combat climate change

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

happyjack27
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Bill Gates is heading a $1 billion venture fund to combat climate change

Postby happyjack27 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:40 pm

RERT
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby RERT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Nice to have my opinions reinforced so promptly and crisply. I've given you a number of sane reasons why there is no need to take an apocalyptic view, which you have simply ignored. All the neutrals (if they still exist) are assuming that's because you have no rational responses. Well done.

The paradigm of 'Label-Insult-Ignore' just lost the left an election against Donald Trump. I think it works by creating enemies who know better than to voice an opinion which is going to be shouted down, or lose them their job. They just get their own back in the privacy of the ballot box. Apparently nearly half the US is a 'basket of deplorables'. Label-Insult-Ignore never won an argument or a friend.

Feel free to carry on name calling if it makes you feel better. I think that is working against your political interests. Personally I've resolved to engage a little more, because I think the echo chambers we live in are causing conflict and bad politics. Hence my post.

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:30 pm

i don't think you understand.

There is no "debate".

If you want to learn about climate science, there are plenty of resources to available. There are even courses available at a university. But you're not going to learn anything so long as you think you know everything.

We're not going to do this:

You can whine about it and cry about it all you want. It falls on deaf ears.

Maui

Postby Maui » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:36 pm

krenshala

Postby krenshala » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:52 pm

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Two points I would like to make.

First, global warming is of course caused by humans. Actually, any animal, and in certain situations plants produce CO2 and thus increased greenhouse gasses. Additional CO2 harvested from sequestered sources like coal or oil adds to this. The real question is a complex play of interactions that determine the magnitude of the change. Various claims about forcing or magnifying effects are based largely on suppositions without firm data (my appreciation). This leads to uncertainty in the results. The oceans may rise one inch to over 100 inches based on these suppositions. So, global warming is a real issue, but the magnitude of the changes and the consequences of those changes are debatable.

Secondly, fusion research is of course a huge part of the picture. Any energy source not dependent on geothermal or tidal forces is at it's origin from fusion reactors, or from the Sun/ stars if you prefer. Even fission nuclear plants derive their useful energy from products cooked in fusion reactors like the Sun's bigger brothers. And even geothermal is not entirely derived from gravitational potential energy. Some fraction of it comes from radioactive decay of heavier elements cooked up in dying fusion reactors - old and exploding stars.
Fusion from the Sun reactor powers the wind turbines and the solar collectors, and through evaporation the hydroelectric power plants. As such development of these industries represents research on the harvesting side of the fusion energy system. The production side is what most think of when they mention fusion reactors, but it is important to maintain a perspective of the very large system that we live in and interact with.

PS: Some (like M.Simon in years past) have suggested that oil- hydrocarbons do not derive only from petroleum and coal from sequestered plant matter, but also from geological processes. That is, the hydrocarbons are not all produced by photosynthesis, but also by other processes, even before the Earth formed.The hydrocarbons of Titon and various other planets, comets, etc. support this. But, again the system must be considered. If you have a preponderance of natural hydrocarbons without free oxygen, they are useless as a fuel. Photosynthesis not only produced useful stocks of hydrocarbons (using the Sun's fusion energy as the ultimate power source) but also produced free oxygen so that we can actually utilize the hydrocarbons. It also helps with our breathing! Even useful petroleum products are derived from a fusion reactor.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

JoeP

Postby JoeP » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:56 pm

Right, pragmatism. Its not as if we have any real choice anyway without some kind of fusion breakthrough that is rolled out in an unbelievably short time. Humanity will be consuming fossil fuels for a long time, and at an increasing rate.

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:10 pm

RERT

Postby RERT » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:23 pm

Apologies: I'm sure my use of the term 'ludicrous' may have caused offence. I had in mind the throw away line about 'billions of deaths', which is obviously a measured, peer-reviewed, near as certain statement as you can get. And of course, none of the responses to me were remotely offensive. Further apologies for the potentially offensive use of sarcasm, which I know can be hard to understand.

It is not false balance to have a reasoned discussion on the implications for policy that ECS turns out to be 2 not 3, or that CO2 emissions have been falling not rising in recent years. Have you ever wondered why that debate is not possible? It would surely be useful, unless changing facts are not to be allowed to change opinions.

I'm not going to attempt to answer the insults and appeals to authority which purport to be a response to my post. I concur with the above poster that most sceptics seem more open to discussion than catastrophists. I'll leave it at that. If anyone wants to actually engage on the points I raised, I will respond.

Notice that I said that well engineered nuclear power (ie fission) could solve the problem: not fusion, which is how it seems to have been read. No sudden miracle is required.

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:36 pm

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:11 pm

Equating what you think or feel CO2 levels are or should be - even if you heard it on your favorite righ wing radio show or cherry picked one non-scientist blog post that supports your view - equating that with the overwhelming evidence that is a matter of public record - I submit that not only is that false balance, but it is just plain idiotic!

You can go talk amongst yourselves about co2 levels, meanwhile, I'll be reading them off the millions of actual empirical measurements constantly being compiled, aggregated, and checked by scientists around the world.

Maybe at the end we can compare our results and see which one better corresponds to physical reality. My money's on the latter.

Maui

Postby Maui » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:39 pm

Last edited by Maui on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kunkmiester

Postby kunkmiester » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:43 pm

Isn't most of that cost red tape and over the top redundancy? The technical issues haven't changed much, just the environment.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Maui

Postby Maui » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:47 pm

Maui

Postby Maui » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:49 pm

Return to “News”