Go For New Navy Funding To Finish

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5

Go For New Navy Funding To Finish

Post by mvanwink5 »

Now that Trump has been elected POTUS, why not go for the $30 million to finish proving the Polywell?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ladajo

Re: Go For New Navy Funding To Finish

Post by ladajo »

Who knows, it is a new world(ish).
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

RERT

Post by RERT »

Well, he seems keen on spending on military technology. The 'emissions free' theme probably doesn't help. Sounds like some nimble footwork with the Powerpoint might be required....

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

In 3 years we could abandon the cost of billions for ITER. Trump can see the value of spending 30 million for the chance of saving billions and also make America cost competitive wrt electric power. Electric power cost = heavy industry and good jobs. Climate was never a good selling point to working Americans.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Trump increasing the likelihood of alternative fusion research is a wild speculation. The only argument is that it will be a different administration. The influence of big oil will (I think) not be decreased. Certainly green energy motives will suffer. Trump, certainly is not knowledgeable in the issues involved. The only path that I see leading to more alternate research, is that Trump may be more willing to abandon the ITER path, and to placate the national labs lobby plow some of the saved money into other fusion research. Sandia labs with the Z- pinch, MIT and others may benefit. The mostly independent research efforts like Tri Alpha and EMC2 would not benefit from this argument.

Keep in mind that Trump has in the past suggested that he might cancel the F35 program. This sentiment has been promoted in part by the press and has been implemented by the new Canadian government- and it is becoming an increasing embarrassment for them. I admit that I also was influenced as I am an F18 Super Hornet fan. But once I gained further understanding of what the F35 actually represents, I am amazed that anyone in a position to receive accurate advice on the F35 program would shy away from it- except for political gain of course...

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

RERT

Post by RERT »

Carpe Diem. Harold Hamm of Continental Resources and Robert Grady of Gryphon Investors are touted for Energy secretary, respectively favourite and second favourite. If someone can get a word in their ear/inbox suggesting diverting ITER funds to EMC2, LPP, Sorlox, Tri-Alpha, Helion, and making the simple argument that switching from an international boondoggle to helping US startups is a 'Trump Style' policy, it might be helpful.

ITER is so big, I would guess they could merely delay funding it by a quarter or two to fund some serious research elsewhere.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

RERT wrote:Carpe Diem. Harold Hamm of Continental Resources and Robert Grady of Gryphon Investors are touted for Energy secretary, respectively favourite and second favourite. If someone can get a word in their ear/inbox suggesting diverting ITER funds to EMC2, LPP, Sorlox, Tri-Alpha, Helion, and making the simple argument that switching from an international boondoggle to helping US startups is a 'Trump Style' policy, it might be helpful.

ITER is so big, I would guess they could merely delay funding it by a quarter or two to fund some serious research elsewhere.
Just take the money from military spending... but then they are republicans. Military spending can never be too wasteful. Personally, I have very little hope for more fusion research funding. But I am willing to be pleasantly surprised, in which case I will happily apologize about my prejudiced opinion.

daveklingler

Post by daveklingler »

Given that it's unlikely Trump will appoint physicists to the SecE position, as Obama did, and Hamm or anybody else Trump appoints will have even heard of nuclear fusion, I fail to see the logic here.

RERT

Post by RERT »

No, he'll likely appoint an Oil Man (Hamm) to Energy. Prediction: He won't go all-in on Fusion. But he isn't going to dismantle it either, even ITER. However, the proposition that he should slow that program to make room for some unique US startup companies in the same field sounds to me like nationalist/free enterprise line which might get a hearing from a Trump administration.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Just take the money from military spending... but then they are republicans.
Sorry, you have not been paying attention. Neocons are out of power. War itself is what is expensive and War continued for 8 years with Obama - Syria (new), Libya (new), Afghanistan(restarted), Iraq (lost and restarted). The figure used for what was spent in the ME failed wars is $6 Trillion. That is money that is gone. Fewer ships, old planes, fewer troops, complete mismanagement.

But that is not what this topic is about. If you want to attack one political party, please, please, take it to General.

Rebuilding the military is not the same thing as War and 'Nation Building'. The money will be there.

Rather than the Department of Energy, I think the DoD is the place to get funding. Logistics may be the lurking problem going forward and fusion would solve that without the huge burden of Nuclear safety training that goes with fission.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

daveklingler wrote:Given that it's unlikely Trump will appoint physicists to the SecE position, as Obama did, and Hamm or anybody else Trump appoints will have even heard of nuclear fusion, I fail to see the logic here.
Even with a "pro nuke" guy in place we did not get any changes in funding under obama so perhaps we need a different method of persuasion.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:
Just take the money from military spending... but then they are republicans.
Sorry, you have not been paying attention. Neocons are out of power. War itself is what is expensive and War continued for 8 years with Obama - Syria (new), Libya (new), Afghanistan(restarted), Iraq (lost and restarted). The figure used for what was spent in the ME failed wars is $6 Trillion. That is money that is gone. Fewer ships, old planes, fewer troops, complete mismanagement.
I even agree with you on that one. I am very much against the wars in the ME. I do however not share your optimism that we will have seen the end of it.
Trump seemed enthusiastic to start a new war with Iran (as was Clinton).
mvanwink5 wrote: Rebuilding the military is not the same thing as War and 'Nation Building'. The money will be there.
I agree with that too. But the military does not need "rebuilding" is strong enough (and yes, we should not have that discussion here).
mvanwink5 wrote: Rather than the Department of Energy, I think the DoD is the place to get funding. Logistics may be the lurking problem going forward and fusion would solve that without the huge burden of Nuclear safety training that goes with fission.
The DOE is a defense organization. So it does not really matter. Fusion could solve these problems and many more, but I doubt that the next administration has the sense to see the possibilities. I think we will have more oil and that's it.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Is anyone actually going to bet on, and for this? I reckon that's a losing bet.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

t_c

Post by t_c »

Newt is super hyped about building a moonbase. Might be a good person to write a physical letter to.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »