Bue Origin News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Bue Origin News

Post by Diogenes »

Blue Origin's Rocket Test Just Went Better Than Anyone Thought Possible

Blue Origin just successfully completed its first in-flight escape test, during which the empty crew capsule was able to make an emergency separation from the booster just seconds after takeoff. It's a maneuver that could save lives if it happens on a real flight. But Blue Origin stumbled upon some extra success: It landed the booster too.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/r ... w-shepard/

Looks like we may be eventually getting a horse race.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Skipjack

Re: Bue Origin News

Post by Skipjack »

Suborbital...

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Five landings.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

How may rockets can we think of that have been used so many times they look scruffy?

Not counting my old Estes V2 model.

jnaujok

Post by jnaujok »

Most of the "scruff" on that rocket came from this flight when the escape booster launched and seared it pretty good. It actually looked pristine on takeoff.

Sadly, my Estes V2 rocket was the victim (on the first flight) of a batch of defective D engines that blew up on ignition. 20 odd hours of work (as a teenager) put into building, painting and finishing that thing, only to have it disintegrate into little chunks in about 1/20th of a second.

To paraphrase Elon Musk, "Model Rocketry is hard."

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

jnaujok wrote: Sadly, my Estes V2 rocket was the victim (on the first flight) of a batch of defective D engines that blew up on ignition. 20 odd hours of work (as a teenager) put into building, painting and finishing that thing, only to have it disintegrate into little chunks in about 1/20th of a second.
I once attended a talk about disintegrating totem poles, meaning multi stage rockets coming apart as they launched. I guess this was a big more of a disintegration than planned!