in the lifestyle section of the bangkok post ?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

tomschuring

in the lifestyle section of the bangkok post ?

Post by tomschuring »

including funny photo of Park Jaeyoung inside the vacuum chamber

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/so ... ing-energy

Carl White

Re: in the lifestyle section of the bangkok post ?

Post by Carl White »

Lockheed Martin, for example, has developed a compact fusion reactor that can fit in the back of a large truck, which, according to the company's claims, can power a city of 100,000 people.
Uh, what? This has been a done deal since when? More shoddy reporting.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Of more interest to me- the photo shows the relative scale of the WB8 magrid in relation to the vacuum vessel. Gaps, etc can be measured based on the assumption that the magnets have a major radius of 30 cm, that has been quoted in the past (I think).

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

Please support the article by viewing the original, however here is the photo
Attachments
Bangkok J Park photo
Bangkok J Park photo
1848413.jpg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 11554 times

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

It occurs to me that sitting inside the chamber is likely to produce contamination problems. It can be baked out afterwards but it does not take much sweat, skin oil, hair, skin, sneaker debris, etc. to constitute a real headache.

This could indicate that this chamber will either not be used again or will require a rather serious overhaul. This would be in line with what they learned from WB-mini. Possibly he was inside it not for a photo-op, but to consider the needed changes to coax this one into a proper wiffle-ball.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Tom, I had the same immediate thought about him being in the tank. Cleanroom attire would have been appropriate unless as you say, major changes or abandonment were in its future.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

You can correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is they are done. This machine is served all the usefulness of it can do. The next step to advance the science requires differently configured machine that is larger. And for that they need to $30 million dollars.

I hate to be mean on this section but one of the problems I feel but the fund-raising effort . Even though Jay Young Park is brilliant he has all the problems that every geek in the world has. People don't understand his humor and is hard to communicate with on his level of understanding of the problem. What we really need is some slick suited bright smiled used-car salesman type that can convey the problems accurately and glad hand all the money people until we get the funding we need. Or to put it another way Jay Park needs a wingman.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

I guess the geeks at Google didn't grok it enough when Bussard gave his talk there. Instead they help fund stuff like the bird-roaster Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System. Yeah, a vision guy that has the magic touch is needed. Wozniak had a Jobs for example.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I guess the $64 question is how you do that? Who do you get? And how do you tell them what they really need.? :?: An advert in craigs list?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

You guys need more patience.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

:D :shock:
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.