EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Re: EMC2 news

Post by paperburn1 »

I would throw a C note away for a really nice stock certificate. In my life I have wasted a lot more for a lot less :D
Run it kickstarter
X gets you a stock certificate
Y gets you a stock certificate and a cool glow in the dark T shirt.
Z gets you a stock certificate and a cool glow in the dark T shirt and a photo of a shot.
You get the picture.
30 million should be a doable amount.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

paperburn1 wrote:I would throw a C note away for a really nice stock certificate. In my life I have wasted a lot more for a lot less :D
Run it kickstarter
X gets you a stock certificate
Y gets you a stock certificate and a cool glow in the dark T shirt.
Z gets you a stock certificate and a cool glow in the dark T shirt and a photo of a shot.
You get the picture.
30 million should be a doable amount.
KIckstarter did not really work that well for LPP and their DPF. What makes you think that more people will give to this?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I have noticed the people making breakthrough are usually not the best public speaker. As a mater of course their usually very boring speakers.
So the very first part of the program would be find a dynamic front man. Think of Ron Popiel as an example. "!!!But wait, there's more! sign up now in the next 47 hours and you will get with your contribution a left handed weasel nut !!!" Next would be one of the incentives has to be in the very cool range but very expensive. Something everyone would like to do but would not in reality. Then the tiers have to break down into what the common person can afford but somehow be connected with the top prize so that when they purchase the lower level item they feel a vicarious bond with the top prize. Sit back and let the money roll in. Appealing to common sense or the general good would result in a fairly flat line response. somehow we need to make fusion "Flashy"
This is the general script that works every time all we have to do is flesh out the details and get permissions.

cjyetman

Post by cjyetman »

paperburn1 wrote:This is the general script that works every time all we have to do is flesh out the details and get permissions.
You can sort all former Kickstart campaigns by "most funded" here: https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded

- largest ever was $20mil for Pebble Time smartwatch
- you can also see the type of products/campaigns that make it high on the list
- Dr. Park is asking for $30mil iirc

I'd love to see it happen, but I think you're over-optimistic about crowd-funding.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

well that's probably true, but projects that are partly funded have a better chance of getting more funding than something that has no funding at all. Nobody wants to be the first person on the boat. We do not have to come up with all thirty million but if we got five million the next five would be much easier.
we just have to get the ball rolling. I think it will pick up momentum after that.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

With no specific knowledge, I suspect EMC2 is generating plenty of interest. It has before. The obstacles recently have been the Navy information embargo, and when that was done, the ITAR bull that replaced it. That's now done.

Which probably means the next problem is getting past the VCs who want to own the technology and become trillionaires. That word is so outrageous that my spell checker thinks it must be an error, but I think it describes the ambitions that turned Dr. Bussard off from several potential investors. My hope would be that Bill Gates' "Billionaires Boys Club", who are dedicating large parts of their fortunes to bettering the world, will get involved. Paul Allen has already done this with Tri-Alpha.

Keep crowd funding in mind, as plan B. Or C.

Would a peppier spokes-person have more appeal for presentations? Probably. But at the moment, I expect EMC2 can't afford it. Dr. Park can be a tad hard to understand until you get your ears tuned in, but he does have an aire of authenticity that you'll never get from a Ron Popiel pitch-man.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I see the main hurdle as addressing why the navy stopped funding.
This can only be done with engagements and spreading the word. It can't only be Dr. Park standing up and talking, it is also everyone here telling friends about the technology and its potential to advance humanity.

So, why did the navy stop funding? We need a universally agreed to answer.

Here is a start:
The navy stopped funding Polywell due to competing budgetary priorities to support real world missions with shrinking congressional allocations.
This was exacerbated by the basic research nature of the Polywell effort, and some uncertainty to the risk/pay-off timeline as understood at the time.
Navy funding was instrumental in bringing Polywell to the point where analysis could understand that there was one question left in the basic science: Is electron injection efficiency sufficient to sustain net positive fusion conditions?

Critique at your will!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

The job of a pitch man is just to get people to look, but the hard sell was not from Ron but his assistant.
So we need to get Park a pitchman. warms up the crowd so to speak. The real question would be whom?
I might know of a guy that knows a guy :D

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote:I see the main hurdle as addressing why the navy stopped funding.
This can only be done with engagements and spreading the word. It can't only be Dr. Park standing up and talking, it is also everyone here telling friends about the technology and its potential to advance humanity.

So, why did the navy stop funding? We need a universally agreed to answer.

Here is a start:
The navy stopped funding Polywell due to competing budgetary priorities to support real world missions with shrinking congressional allocations.
This was exacerbated by the basic research nature of the Polywell effort, and some uncertainty to the risk/pay-off timeline as understood at the time.
Navy funding was instrumental in bringing Polywell to the point where analysis could understand that there was one question left in the basic science: Is electron injection efficiency sufficient to sustain net positive fusion conditions?

Critique at your will!
In other words, all those proxywars have been getting to expensive :(
Politicians don't realize that having nuclear fusion (and thus unlimited cheap energy) is the best thing anyone can do for the security of the US and anybody else in the world. It angers me A LOT!

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I know what the real reason is, pinheads and politics.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Tom Ligon wrote:ITAR ... this will go down in history as a vile curse, like Niven's TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing as a Free Lunch),
Heinlein's TAANSTAFL? "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Yea I think thats what it

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

2013 Independent Review of EMC2 Polywell acquired through FOIA, looking really good:
http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/04/2013-i ... .html#more

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I am glad that these are out in public.
This is real science, not that ecat nonsense.

I truly hope that this helps spring loose some real funding again. Unfortunately, our government continues to demonstrate misguided and selfish priorities.

Bob Hirsch's prophecy may well come true: Invented here, developed elsewhere.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote:I am glad that these are out in public.
This is real science, not that ecat nonsense.

I truly hope that this helps spring loose some real funding again. Unfortunately, our government continues to demonstrate misguided and selfish priorities.
Yes, lets hope for the best with funding!