Page 1 of 1

We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill Gates

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:05 am
by johndaly
this is worth a read, and perhaps some polite, informative comments as well
http://www.gatesnotes.com/Energy/Energy-Innovation
-thanks! john

Re: We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill G

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:42 pm
by ladajo
The problem is that the investment community is solar and wind centric in the U.S.
They are extremely myopic when it comes to consideration of other approaches. Sad really.
If you look around you will comparatively little to no american money outside solar and wind in this country.

Re: We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill G

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:21 pm
by CherryPick
Government subsidies are an excellent business. :mrgreen: Poor people pay the bill and billionaires cash without risk.

Re: We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill G

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:39 pm
by Skipjack
ladajo wrote:The problem is that the investment community is solar and wind centric in the U.S.
They are extremely myopic when it comes to consideration of other approaches. Sad really.
If you look around you will comparatively little to no american money outside solar and wind in this country.

Because solar and wind are perceived as relatively low risk (we already know that they work) and investors only invest into what they perceive as relatively low risk, even if it is BS.
Most of them are just big talking idiots anyway, high social intelligence, but otherwise dumb as a brick.

Re: We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill G

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:23 pm
by ladajo
Yup, and that there is the cruxt of the issue.
They lack vision, but are plenty long on greed.

Re: We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill G

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:16 am
by Skipjack
ladajo wrote:Yup, and that there is the cruxt of the issue.
They lack vision, but are plenty long on greed.

Which is why it is not a good idea to rely solely on capitalism for this sort of project. Because if that is the case, we wont be advancing anywhere, any time soon.
There are a few (very few) notable exceptions, but they are not enough and they dont seem to invest all that much compared to what they could invest.
Eaxamples are Paul Allen, Jeff Bezos and Peter Thiel. They are all multi billionaires but they have at most invested 10s of millions. Personally, I wished we had more people like Elon Musk among the super rich. Musk has vision and determination and is willing to take risks for the greater good. I just wished his vision included nuclear fusion.

Re: We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill G

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:38 am
by mvanwink5
Why take a risk when the Gubbermant will take it for you? Then it boils down to what crony project is being politically funded, or not. Heck, Hilder and Bubba aren't the only ones running a pay to play racket.

Re: We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill G

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:20 am
by 93143
Apparently he's backing a TWR.

Re: We Need Clean-Energy Innovation, and Lots of It - Bill G

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:42 am
by Skipjack
mvanwink5 wrote:Why take a risk when the Gubbermant will take it for you? Then it boils down to what crony project is being politically funded, or not. Heck, Hilder and Bubba aren't the only ones running a pay to play racket.

Well, if the government does not take it, noone does. We just established that private investors wont take it. The government takes risks with projects all the time. What is the difference between funding a fusion research project and funding the research on new lasers and railguns... other than the fact that energy independence and cutting our dependence on oil is probably the most important thing we can do for national security.