EMC2 Polywell On the Ropes?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

crowberry

Re: EMC2 Polywell On the Ropes?

Post by crowberry »

It is not clear from the slides how that 1 m should be interpreted, but I would guess it is a radius.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Stay tuned. Dr. Park may have some materials available shortly, if you folks behave yourselves.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

You mean he's got a slide presentation on the vicissitudes of herding cats?
https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf- ... cats+video
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

It means I just posted an unauthorized teaser to see if I can get the cats looking my way. :)

Which reminds me I need to post my time-lapse video experiment with cats. I wanted to see if our sunbeam-loving cats could be harnessed for solar tracking, but it turns out they're too lazy to even do that.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I always thought of electrons and ions making up the plasma as billions of cats and fusioneers as cat herders. :lol:

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I thought we solved the energy crisis via cat/toast rotation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPpTLKmaiE

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

They failed to take the next logical step in that video, though -- the buttered-cat-array would generate tremendous amounts of energy.

Here's hoping the cats notice the feather you are wiggling over here, Tom. ;)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Tom Ligon wrote:Stay tuned. Dr. Park may have some materials available shortly, if you folks behave yourselves.
[bats at the shiny object]
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

So, is it time to return to pessimism? EMC2 left at the alter with wilting daisies, a victim of fricking fracking and oil price crash? Or McMansion with some babes was more attractive?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

mvanwink5 wrote:So, is it time to return to pessimism? EMC2 left at the alter with wilting daisies, a victim of fricking fracking and oil price crash? Or McMansion with some babes was more attractive?
If I was to guess I'd say they are not willing to give up enough of the company to make it attractive to investors. But that is totally a guess. I have no actual information.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

EMC2 left at the alter with wilting daisies, a victim of fricking fracking and oil price crash? Or McMansion with some babes was more attractive?
It's been quiet, other then the occasional mention in a science article there doesn't seem to be anything happening. Has Dr. Park moved on to another project? The costs to continue the research are pennies for most VC's and those who fund such things, at the minimal the IP acquired could be utilized in nuclear medicine for a profit that would certainly eclipse the costs.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Has anyone see any of the equipment on a DRMO list?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I don't think they're broke-broke. Think of The Princess Bride:

Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Paperburn1: What's that?

Miracle Max: Go through the DRMO list and look for surplus fusion equipment.

The rent is still being paid and the equipment maintained. As far as I have been able to tell (which isn't much), all the stuff is still in the hands of EMC2. But the difference here is that getting EMC2 back running and making progress would not take a miracle. An angel, however, would be welcome.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Not dead yet. Living in a different paradigm, thus traditional data sources are not relevant.

Not alive yet. Surgery in progress.

Surgery may add new body parts and remove un-needed body parts. This may result in some body parts in DRMO bin.

Patience.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)