Small Tri Alpha news blurp

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Small Tri Alpha news blurp

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Norman is supposed to be ahead of schedule on its target temperature, but the final, PB11 target temperature, is an order of magnitude higher and will require a new machine. Norman is to prove temperature scaling while maintaining plasma longevity. The narrative is that the cause of being ahead of schedule is Google's machine learning program (euphemism for AI).

Tri Alpha has not laid out their future time line to start the new machine and achieve the PB11 target.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

Skipjack
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Skipjack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 am

Provided tests with Normal go well, TAE will start construction of their net gain machine in 2020 according to what TAE Technologies CEO Steven Specker said at the Seattle breakfast session on commercial fusion ventures, organized by the CleanTech Alliance:
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/commercia ... ectations/

Maui

Postby Maui » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:27 am

I know Norman is not supposed to get them to PB11, but are there any more specific goals for Norman besides “hotter”? I think I recall a couple years ago 100M being mentioned, but I don’t recall reading any specific number since then.

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:36 am

Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

Maui

Postby Maui » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:36 am

Oh, guess I just needed to read Slipjack’s link: 50M. I have to say TAE’s plan for a net power machine by 2020 is the most tangible hope to date I’ve had for fusion. Almost enough to make me start thinking this is actually happening...

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 am

It looks like modeling software and hardware power have reached the point that the forward progress speed has jumped. That includes GM, TAE, EMC2, and likely Helion although I have not heard that from them (all these guys seem cutting edge on plasma).

It is hard to say from my stadium seat view how much speed will translate to shortened years, but modeling also reduces risk and so will also speed funding.

We are riding the technology tiger.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Tokamaks have a size and first wall problem that lurks in the fine print where the real world lives. No Tokamak gets anywhere close to beta = 1. Some Toks will look good but only when compared to other Toks. Toks have really good lobbyists and high paid cheerleaders.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:46 pm

SJ, I realize you are not a fan of Toks. Just bear in mind that anything that helps Toks helps all other competing approaches. So Toks will always be in near dead last place. Great science projects though. The other point was that net power is only important if the fine print engineering has real solutions and that the sum does not put them in the white elephant zone, which it does. Finally, for myself, I prefer not to echo the sales pitches of lobbyists, but that is just me.

Again, thanks for the link to the latest Geekwire.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:16 am

ltgbrown

Postby ltgbrown » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 am

SJ, thank you very much for the links. Some of the best overviews I have seen. The jump in power out from 500 MW to 1 GW is impressive and suggestive of a high probability of success. It seems like all the areas of risk are highly manageable. Pretty exciting.

I note though that it the first video and others, EMC2 and Polywell are almost never mentioned. I wonder why? It seems like such an elegant solution. ARC and most other efforts are based on trying to force the nuclei together, while Polywell uses nature's own forces to pull them together. Very "judo-like"!

I am more confident almost everyday that I will see commercial fusion permeate the world in my lifetime. Combined with what SpaceX is doing, I think we are on the verge of the next great frontier breaking timeframe.
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

Maui

Postby Maui » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:44 pm

ltgbrown

Postby ltgbrown » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Well, what I was referring to was the general lack of mention of Polywell in any fusion discussion. I watched a "panel" discussion on fusion with Focus Fusion, Tri Alpha, NIF and someone representing investors, but no mention of Polywell. It just seems like almost all venues about fusion don't include Polywell. Why? Are "we" the fringe? I firmly believe in the elegance of Polywell. Somehow it just makes sense that the laws of the universe would provide us this easily accessible form of nearly boundless energy.

Tired and extra glass of wine complicates my typing!
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

Return to “News”