Small Tri Alpha news blurp

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: Small Tri Alpha news blurp

Post by Skipjack »

Maui wrote:Someone isn't too optimistic about Tri Alpha:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Emplo ... 365224.htm
Sounds like a disgruntled contractor to me. Maybe not too reliable...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Further down in the list:
Former Employee - Technician in Orange, CA
I worked at Tri Alpha Energy full-time (More than 5 years) [...]
Cons
One TERRIBLE manager. Too bad this bad apple has to spoil the bunch.

[...]

Advice to Management
Eliminate the bad apple to boost morale and eliminate workforce division.
Dated Nov 8, 2014
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

C-2U was successful. C-2W is being built. Articles published with experimental results. What is the point of linking to gossiping no name trolls? Any news older than C-2U results is useless.

If I was a physicist whose career was dependent on ITER, Tri Alpha success would be worrisome. Or, a Mid East Oil country whose survival was dependent on oil, near term fusion would be a problem. All that has to happen is for C-2W to be successful and predictions change immediately. Planning is forward looking.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

https://trialphaenergy.com/wp-content/u ... nt_TAE.pdf

In announcement on Binderbauer promoted to Tri Alpha company President, this was stated, “Its latest Plasma Electric Generator, intended to prove that it can achieve temperatures “hot enough” to validate the path to fusion power, will begin operation this summer.

So, C-2W is still on schedule. This proof won't be a long drawn out affair as most work has been done already, this is just to demonstrate it. Then it is off to the races.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Sounds good! We will see how things go.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

C-2U results paper published, enjoy:
https://trialphaenergy.com/wp-content/u ... /book.html
Let me translate the test results: The C-2U machine achieved long lived, stable high density plasma, capable of facilitating building compact fusion reactors, and that it was found that beam injectors needed to raise the plasma to fusion temperatures did not cause the plasma to become unstable.

C-2W is the demonstration machine with high power neutral beam injectors and is due to start testing this summer.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:C-2U results paper published, enjoy:
https://trialphaenergy.com/wp-content/u ... /book.html
Let me translate the test results: The C-2U machine achieved long lived, stable high density plasma, capable of facilitating building compact fusion reactors, and that it was found that beam injectors needed to raise the plasma to fusion temperatures did not cause the plasma to become unstable.

C-2W is the demonstration machine with high power neutral beam injectors and is due to start testing this summer.
Well essentially this is what they have been saying for a year now. Not really any news here, just a summary.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Yes, but this is the published paper, for those that wanted to read it.

There was one point that I missed, and that is the point that high energy neutral beam injection was shown in their testing to lead to effective increase in fusion reaction rate, or effective fusion reaction temperature. To those that know FRC's the result was a key surprise (does not include me, so it was not a surprise to me, ignorance and all). Surprise is the reason to build and test, and hopes are that the surprises are beneficial. Hence, I benefited from reading the paper.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:Yes, but this is the published paper, for those that wanted to read it.

There was one point that I missed, and that is the point that high energy neutral beam injection was shown in their testing to lead to effective increase in fusion reaction rate, or effective fusion reaction temperature. To those that know FRC's the result was a key surprise (does not include me, so it was not a surprise to me, ignorance and all). Surprise is the reason to build and test, and hopes are that the surprises are beneficial. Hence, I benefited from reading the paper.
That was all already in papers published over the past year and a half.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Show me.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

SJ,
The 43rd conference was less than a year ago and that paper addresses stability, but not the claim of stability and effective fusion temperature both. The second part is key as NBI, as pointed out in the paper just released in March of this year is not guaranteed to increase effective fusion temperature commensurately. Increase in temperature is not the same as increase in effective temperature.

The second paper is a C-2 paper. Not even stability was shown there, just pointing that with more NBI they might get it. Enough said.

You might ask yourself, why release a paper if what has been said has been said before? Hence, their recent paper's conclusion on stability with the added observation on effective temperature results. This is not a nuanced claim upgrade.

The point might be taken that the concomitant stability and temperature is effectively stated in the 43rd conference paper, but if it is, it is not robustly stated as it is in their recent paper. Long term stability was what they were going for in C-2U, and they got that, but they also got a bonus. :)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

There were other papers that they published that stated things to a similar effect. Either way, it is just splitting hairs. Their theories seem to work and they have good experimental results. That is what counts. I am looking forward to seeing the results they will achieve with C-2W.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

It takes just one, then the flood gates open. I am hoping word gets out, but these guys are all super cautious these days so will likely break the news with a paper.

If you hear when C-2W 1st plasma is made... Exciting times. I keep hoping for Helion news. GF is at the conference presenting latest results.