A New Prize

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

A New Prize

Post by MSimon »

http://www.noblefuse.org/events.htm

From our old friend: SOLOMON "SAMMY" AZAR

He has the right idea.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

vernes

Post by vernes »

Why does he dress up his website as if it's about religion?
If he's serious about his idea, shouldn't he act serious on his website?

"300 symbolic shares of Noblefuse stock"

So you don't get money, you don't even get shares incase his company becomes worth anything. You just make the machine, give it to him and he can use the machine to power a hospital?

Am I missing something importent here?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

No vernes you aren't missing anything. Do a search on Azar and you will see what I mean about "our old friend".

He means well. And he may even have a good idea or three. What he lacks is the ability to sell his program.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Solo

Post by Solo »

Yikes, that guy ought to be locked up!

rcain

Post by rcain »

... perhaps if Dr Nebel's current WB7 experiment doesn't work, we could fill it up with water and see if that makes any difference. :)

funny enough i just came across him (Mr Aza that is) googling for 'underwater plasma' and - hes currently on google page 3 so i think so what MSimon says about his 'lack of ability to sell his programme' must be true.

he seems like a wonderful chap - absolutely bonkers and full of enthusiasm - i couldn't comment on the maths involved, but the physics doesn't sound a million miles away from a plausible fusor without any of the unnecessary hassle of recirculation and cusps etc that WB has to cope with - he just merrily boils it all away though a BIG STEAM TURBINE.

cant help thinking though it might be prone to EXPLODE just as easily - not by fusion reaction but by effects experienced by those unfortunate contemporaries of the Montgolfier brothers whilst attempting to improve the performance of a hot air balloon by adding some hydrogen to it.

cant help thinking though, also, why no ones actually tried mr Azar's method. Or have they already (RIP?)?

Underwater Fusion anyone?

ps. i am led to understand that the shock wave alone from plasma in water can be enough to thoroughly 'cleanse' it for leagues under, and heavy industry seem to think it makes sense to deploy big plasma torches under a few hundred centimeters of the stuff.

pps. water's also diamagnetic at high field strengths isnt it? dont know whether that helps or not?

esotERIC D

Post by esotERIC D »

Underwater fusion...

I've always been a fan of bubble fusion, acoustically confined imploding bubble in a small container of water. I really liked the scale but I have to say that I am very doubtfull, although Sonoluminescence is still cool. At the very least it helped me understand POPS(?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_fusion

I think it was getting better results with deuterated acetone, not water.

rcain

Post by rcain »

Hi EsotericD - yes I remember catching that some years ago - was in the popular journals. Remember being surprised that cavitation could get that extreme - but at the time I had my hopes on JET or its offspring anyway.

Seems like theres been some recent news at least - mostly bickering and no compelling reasons to continue on that line - bit like the cold fusion story.

Azars work/thoughts/bedroom fusor - whatever he has - very different. Just spent the last 1/2 hr reading his paper - his command of english is a bit crap at times, and his approach is different: he's going for an underwater self-magnetized 'pinch' with 'light-speed' ions and magnetic amplification: sounds much more plausible - in fact starts to look in some respects at least rather like the polywell - IE fusion at any rate. problem is he reckons he needs:

Tesla Coil - 256MeV
1.43GHz (21c, band)
over 1m arcs
under water

oh yes, and a spare PWReactor

(calculated estimates)

don't know where he thinks hes going to get that setup from - he's appealing (rather badly) to westinghouse.

He seems to be going for a total 'fusion soup' but says hes also keen on p + e = n + gamma, n + p = deu - if i get him right - something like which we are led to believe goes on in white dwarfs (i think - please correct me if/where necessary).

On the other hand, I thought some of his maths/physics, though looking rather simplistic, were actually very cogently and coherently set out. Also, some radical ideas on A Unified Theory - reminded me of a bit of Omega Point stuff and some of David Deutsche's theories - anyone any views here?

His linkage of dimensionless(?) physic, permittivity, permeability, plank and the expanding universe itself holding everything together - hmm, what can i say? anyone?

i'm a believer!

seriously though, i was really wondering about water as a) a dielectric, b) magnetic medium, c) fuel carrier, d) coolant e) ion/plasma channel, f) moderator/shield - thought it had some good all round qualities.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

MSimon wrote:What he lacks is the ability to sell his program.
That, and any scientific basis for his work. Dude's a crank.

rcain

Post by rcain »

scareduck wrote:
MSimon wrote:What he lacks is the ability to sell his program.
That, and any scientific basis for his work. Dude's a crank.
I don't think anyone here is disputing that.

However, historically speaking, how many important scientific discoveries have been made entirely by accident? I can think of quite a few.

seedload

Post by seedload »

rcain wrote:However, historically speaking, how many important scientific discoveries have been made entirely by accident? I can think of quite a few.
... as a percentage of the total number of accidents, not very many at all.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Certainly not a quack, but perhaps a crank, sure. Interestingly I found him first when I went looking for news about recent developments in fusion, before I found this place.

Consider that. If he's bad at getting his ideas across, how bad is this place if I found Azar first? Not to say that the content of the sites is comparable... this one obviously has more credibility once you start reading.

But the problems with his ideas are merely that they're out of the box, and he's got it all wrapped up in his messiah complex. No?

What I'm saying is that I think that it's too bad that it's probably going to look bad for anyone to review his work. Because, sure, as unlikely as it is that he's the one who has found the solution to this problem, he's not entirely uninformed. And I think that the paper (crap though his writing may be), could be spruced up and submitted for a peer review. And perhaps the world might learn something from the process.

It's just too bad that he's poisoned the well for those who'd like to help him out.

Anyone brave enough to take it on? Or are we certain that it must be a gigantic waste of time to do so?

Again, with my penchant for liking the "mad science" of folks like Tesla, I'm fond of considering the theories of possible cranks. Who was it that said that the line between genius and madness is often a fuzzy one? Einstein himself said that his "genius" was simply a penchant for thinking through problems to their conclusion. The sort of effort that you'd expect from an obsessive-compulsive with a god complex...

The idea certainly has an "elemental" sort of elegance to it, if you will...

Mike

rj40

Post by rj40 »

It’s too bad he cannot do some sort of straightforward demo all on his own. I mean something like the Wright Brothers first airplanes. It was kind of hard to dispute that once it was seen and photographed. Forget the science (for now), just put something together that powers an apartment building that is demonstrably not on the grid. Maybe have James Randi and crew come in. Then, when someone complains that the science is bad he could respond with something like, “Well…uh…I just don’t care what you think.” And then point to the building. Maybe after that he can release all his plans and blueprints on the internet. That way, if the powers that be try and shut it down, all he has to say is “It’s out there on the internet. If my explanation doesn’t work for you, what does? Something is making this thing go and now everyone has it; from a kid in Bangalore to a school teacher in Christchurch. It’s all out there and it can’t be stopped.” That would be interesting, but it never happens that way.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

I believe he does have a demonstration model, or at least claims so. One which is said to be available to view.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory: ... tic_Fusion

Mike

rj40

Post by rj40 »

Interesting, but unless it is shown to be powering something, I would be suprised if it gets any attention (outside of us!). :-)
Again, I think he needs to power something that everyone can relate to. And, it has to be shown that it is, in fact, providing the power. That's why I like an apartment building. Something big that could be shown to be off the grid. That's where James Randi comes in, if it is something big, it should get his attention.