Another mechanism demonstrating superconductivity w/carbon

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mdeminico

Another mechanism demonstrating superconductivity w/carbon

Post by mdeminico »

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/jo ... /1.4808207

I believe this is the 2nd (maybe the 3rd) type of experiment that is similar to Johan Prins' work with superconduction near a graphite surface. If you recall, Johan extracted electrons outside the surface of a n-doped diamond substrate, creating an insulating layer that prevented said electrons from returning, and which then transferred measured current without an electric field present.

Read the whole article, it's pretty good, but in case it's TLDR:
In this experiment, Yasushi Kawashima (Tokai University, Japan) took HOPG flakes, put them in a PTFE (teflon) ring-shaped container, and soaked the flakes in alkanes (n-heptane and n-octane) for one day.

They then passed a magnetic field through the ring, inducing a current in the ring. The generated magnetic field was promptly shut off, and the magnetic field in the ring persisted. They then separated the ring at a junction point, and the magnetic field immediately disappeared.

They repeated the experiment (at least once obviously), and kept the ring intact for 21 days. They then measured the magnetic field, and its strength matched the magnetic field on day 1. They then left it for another 29 days (50 days total), measured the field, and it matched the field on day 1.

The big deal here is, this is something that is pretty dang easy to reproduce. In other words, you can repeat this experiment with a moderate amount of equipment. And you can build a small-scale energy storage device as a proof of concept by stacking these rings.

If this is in fact reproducable, this drastically changes the game when it comes to high temperature superconductors.

I have some theories on why this happens, but that's for another post in this thread, and first I'd like to hear your guys thoughts.

hanelyp

Re: Another mechanism demonstrating superconductivity w/carb

Post by hanelyp »

The described procedure and results sound like compelling evidence of bulk superconductivity. But the mili-Gause fields from the ring don't suggest much current.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

mdeminico

Post by mdeminico »

hanelyp wrote:The described procedure and results sound like compelling evidence of bulk superconductivity. But the mili-Gause fields from the ring don't suggest much current.
I'm sure the current was low and kept low to prove out the concept, but could be increased via engineering if it was proven out to be a viable solution.

mdeminico

Post by mdeminico »

Ok... isn't this something someone would want to reproduce? I mean, it's simple enough isn't it?

qraal

Post by qraal »

Yasushi Kawashima lodged a Patent back in 2009 on this very same "discovery" so I'm thinking 4 years without replication is a bit odd for something so "revolutionary"...

Patent US20110130292

...but it does seem easy enough to replicate. Just seems weird that Kawashima has been so quiet about it until the AIP publication. He posted a YouTube video of the ring affecting a compass. Also a bit odd.

Kawashima's video
The Universe is weirder than we can imagine

mdeminico

Post by mdeminico »

qraal wrote:Yasushi Kawashima lodged a Patent back in 2009 on this very same "discovery" so I'm thinking 4 years without replication is a bit odd for something so "revolutionary"...

Patent US20110130292

...but it does seem easy enough to replicate. Just seems weird that Kawashima has been so quiet about it until the AIP publication. He posted a YouTube video of the ring affecting a compass. Also a bit odd.

Kawashima's video
I'm not sure, I'd actually like to try to replicate it myself, I mean, it can't be all that expensive.

And, some people just aren't all that hot at taking ideas and running with them... I mean, the guy that invented DOS did jack squat with it. Bill Gates just bought it from him and rolled with it.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

The fact he has a patent suggests he has plans for what to do with it. My guess is the lack of large graphene crystals to date has made this useless until a bulk manufacturing method can be found. Largest crystals to date are only about 1 cm^2.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Dude, you are unnecessarily adding to the Carbon Burden by not recycling previous threads:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5070

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

DeltaV wrote:Dude, you are unnecessarily adding to the Carbon Burden by not recycling previous threads:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5070
But won't the newly created large(r) graphene crystals counter act the extra expenditure needed to post these posts?

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

The proper thing would have been to post it in a totally unrelated topic, like the General Fusion topic.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

:lol: :lol: Stop picking on me :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol:
Guilty as charged on all counts.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

krenshala wrote:But won't the newly created large(r) graphene crystals counter act the extra expenditure needed to post these posts?
Carbon sequestered in superconductors fer me backyard space hopper. Perfect. But there will have to be billions to make a dent. China... India... this will blow my advertising budget.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Apologies if this was posted already:

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1209/1209.1938.pdf
Can doping graphite trigger room temperature superconductivity?
Evidence for granular high-temperature superconductivity in water-treated graphite powder

EDIT: Posted by scalziand in Sept 2012. I'll go punish myself for not recycling a post by absorbing some carbon from beer.