Is the National Ignition Facility (NIF) getting close?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

marvin57
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is the National Ignition Facility (NIF) getting close?

Postby marvin57 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:08 am

DeltaV
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Is the National Ignition Facility (NIF) getting close?

Postby DeltaV » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:56 pm

No.

Energy in: 1700000 J
Energy out: 8000 J

8000/1700000 = 0.0047

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Probably no coincidence these articles surface with budget drama in the face...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Didn't they finally own a few months ago that they don't expect to ever achieve what they set out to?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

marvin57

Postby marvin57 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:48 am

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:18 pm

kcdodd

Postby kcdodd » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Carter

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:49 am

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:48 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:36 pm

:)

I remember that...

marvin57

Postby marvin57 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:05 am

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:41 am

I think the use of the NIH facility to cook burgers will be more economical ($ loss per "shot" will be lower). Maybe by the end of this year General Fusion will put all these boondoggle government projects into history's dust bin and save us some serious cash. Government managed projects don't usually pass the burger test.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:58 pm

You can never take the sky from me.

Firefly
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Return to “News”