Joe Eck hits Tc = 187 C, 368 F

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

Joe Eck hits Tc = 187 C, 368 F

Post by DeltaV »

http://www.superconductors.org/42C_mod.htm

EDIT: raised Tc in thread title to reflect latest data.
Last edited by DeltaV on Mon May 02, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.

hanelyp

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 42C, 107.6 F

Post by hanelyp »

When are we going to see bulk superconductivity at room temperature?
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Regarding Eck's work, when the process yield can be vastly improved.

Time to switch from "Lewis & Clark" to "Conestoga Wagon". Tc is good enough, for now.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

DeltaV wrote:Time to switch from "Lewis & Clark" to "Conestoga Wagon". Tc is good enough, for now.
Not quite yet. A typical temperature of things in a high desert sun is closer to 200F than 107F. If 200F can be reached then no active cooling would be needed at all (call it 99+% of the time). JMHO.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Process improvement needs to start now. I'm not getting any younger and I want this ready before first hover of my backyard space hopper.

scalziand

Post by scalziand »

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

scalziand wrote:And now he claims 48-50C:

http://www.superconductors.org/48C_44C.htm

Un freakin real.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

QOTD: does anyone think we will be able to comercially exploit this proccess. it seem to hate moisture.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

How much does it seem to hate moisture? In some applications a sealed, even vacuum, container would be viable. My question is, to repeat, when will we see any of this in bulk superconductivity?
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

DeltaV

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 48C, 118 F

Post by DeltaV »

After patent applications?
These are the ninth and tenth superconductors found to have transition temperatures above room temperature[1].
1. Materials 5, 6 and 8 have not yet been published, pending patent application.
He should really focus on yield improvement now. If successful, the money would appear quickly for raising Tc later.

EDIT: raised Tc in thread title.

scalziand

Post by scalziand »

I would make a wild guess that 'Materials 5, 6 and 8' are being patented because they can be produced with large volume fractions, if not stoichiometrically.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

DeltaV wrote: He should really focus on yield improvement now. If successful, the money would appear quickly for raising Tc later.
If the activity on the MT curve is measurement error, or one of the other possible phenomena than superconducting transition, "increasing the critical temperature" is considerably easier than increasing the yield :P

With a little bit googling you can find discussions, articles of the possible measurement errors, other phenomena responsible for the measurements etc

For example these:

What could be the different mechanisms responsible for diamagnetic transition apart from superconductivity?
http://www.researchgate.net/post/What_c ... nductivity

http://iopscience.iop.org/1009-1963/11/ ... x20412.pdf
Investigation of the positive moments on the M-T curve of a YBCO film measured by using zero-field cooling

The experimental results have shown that there are positive magnetic moment and positive peak on the M-T curve. We have proven that these anomalous behaviours are due to measurement error, but not phase transition.

DeltaV

Re: Joe Eck hits Tc = 53C, 127 F

Post by DeltaV »

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

KitemanSA wrote:
DeltaV wrote:Time to switch from "Lewis & Clark" to "Conestoga Wagon". Tc is good enough, for now.
Not quite yet. A typical temperature of things in a high desert sun is closer to 200F than 107F. If 200F can be reached then no active cooling would be needed at all (call it 99+% of the time). JMHO.
Not so, at least for a Fusion reactor like the Polywell. Even with P-B11 fuel and piratically no neutrons, there will still be megawatts of X-ray Bremmstruhlung radiation, and hot ions and electrons (primarily electrons) hitting the magnet cans through ExB drift losses. If electron cusp losses are around 10-50 MW then ExB losses may be around 0.1 to 5 MW, depending on how you digest the numbers mentioned in the patent application (ExB losses being 1 to 10% of the electron cusp losses). Admittedly there will be no ohmic heating in the superconducting wires, but there will still be significant heating of the magnet cans that will have to be carried away with flowing coolent. Again, depending on the numbers, this incident heat load may be greater than the ohmic heat load in liquid nitrogen cooled copper electromagnets, so cooling requirements may still be as much as 10-50% or more of the heat load of the copper versus superconducting wires.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

D Tibbets wrote: of X-ray Bremmstruhlung
Dan Tibbets
Wimper!
Please Dan, it is Bremsstrahlung. BremsstrAhlung.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung
It is the combination of the two German words "bremsen" which means "to slow something down" and the word "Strahlung", which means "radiation".
Sorry buddy, I have sent you a private message about this once or twice, but I cant take it anymore. Your spelling of this word makes me cringe in pain ;)