New NBC/Alan Boyle fusion article

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

DeltaV

New NBC/Alan Boyle fusion article

Post by DeltaV »

Mainly about NIF failure and ITER funding. Polywell is mentioned in passing with a link to his 2011 article.
Fusion energy dreams smash into hard economic realities

Alan Boyle does post a comment indicating that he is still seeking info from EMC2, but the Navy blackout continues.
http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/0 ... lities?d=1
I'm still hoping to get an update on the EMC2 Fusion folks in New Mexico ... they've been pretty quiet, because that's how their customers at the Naval Air Warfare Center want it. However, the federal procurement documents indicate that they received another $600,000 in February to keep things going until September. The most recent reports are that they're making good progress on the Wiffleball 8 device. Here's a link: http://1.usa.gov/19AG0YH

Aero

Re: New NBC/Alan Boyle fusion article

Post by Aero »

Interesting. I guess we knew that, but adding up the $ I get $10,775,504.14 from September 2009 to about now, June 2013. Two and a half million $ a year on average.

Take out overhead and G & A that hardly leaves enough for salaries. If anything is being done to advance Polywell, it's being done elsewhere with EMC2 maybe making a few specialized tools and acting as consultants or advisors or something like that. There is not enough money here for anything else.
Aero

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I have a theory that they are working with Lockheed martin on this, no real proof yet but I think something is afoot. based on the preferred contractor list.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

If only there was some sneaky way to get e.g. MSimon to tell what the big money co was/were a few years ago during the funding drought.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Wellll, now that we are talking about speculation, I would go with D-D or D-T, and General Dynamics (Massive Dynamics for its Fringe Division). They could hide the retrofit in the submarine repair.

(Remember the multibillion dollar fire damage from the contract electrician that wanted the weekend off with his girlfriend? Lit a mattress on fire - in a submarine??? Too stupid to be anything but a cover story for a major retrofit, or serendipitous story freebee.)

After all, General Dynamics has A-Z resources, perfect for this, and submarine is the best place for secret project work and buried cash. Besides, I would have thought Lockheed was more on the aviation side of the hardware.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

mvanwink5 wrote:Wellll, now that we are talking about speculation, I would go with D-D or D-T, and General Dynamics (Massive Dynamics for its Fringe Division). They could hide the retrofit in the submarine repair.
After all, General Dynamics has A-Z resources, perfect for this, and submarine is the best place for secret project work and buried cash. Besides, I would have thought Lockheed was more on the aviation side of the hardware.
Good point but EMC2 has gone to LM before for help and they provided it. As a former LM employee I know how the infrastructure of the company works and for that to happen there was a deal or big bucks has changed hands. They do not do anything for free even inter-divisionally. I have run into that wall before in my dealing with the company. (Note they are a good company to work for its just rice bowls to the maximum.)
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:If only there was some sneaky way to get e.g. MSimon to tell what the big money co was/were a few years ago during the funding drought.
There were actually three of them. All of them came up against EMC2's unwillingness to do the usual VC deal. i.e. get 10% or less of the final corp.

With Navy funding in hand that makes sense. I haven't communicated with Tom Ligon for months. Ever since he finished writing an article on fusion for ECN. Tom would know more about the EMC2 side. Maybe.

Link here: http://classicalvalues.com/2013/03/tom- ... g-for-ecn/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.