Why ITER gets all the money

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Why ITER gets all the money

Post by MSimon »

http://www.ensec.org/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=419

Because it gets good press.
Contributor Sabina Griffith is a Communication Officer, Department of Communications and External Relations, with the ITER Project. Sabrina can be contacted at Sabina.Griffith@iter.org for further information.

The IAGS Journal of Energy Security (JES) relies solely on the generosity of our donors to be able to deliver information, research, insight and hard data on global energy security issues. Please consider donating to the Journal of Energy Security to strengthen, broaden and deepen our global coverage. IAGS is a publicly supported, nonprofit organization under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. All contributions are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law.

http://www.ensec.org/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Stubby

Re: Why ITER gets all the money

Post by Stubby »

I don't know about 'good' press but they sure get a lot of it.

http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Energy/ ... -Last.html

All ITER all the time.
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

MSimon wrote:Because it gets good press.
I am afraid you overestimate the power of press.
Comparising TOKAMAKs with all other approaches experts (and not laymans) state that namely TOKAMAK is the most promising way.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
Comparising TOKAMAKs with all other approaches experts (and not laymans) state that namely TOKAMAK is the most promising way.
If discussing strictly fusion that is true. However, there is the fuel generation problem. And the high neutron flux. Two things that rarely get mentioned.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
That's kind of like saying the NBA experts all state that basketball is the best sport. Tokamak's been "50 years away" for how long? It's turned into a bloated jobs program for scientists to pad out their careers.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

MSimon wrote:However, there is the fuel generation problem. And the high neutron flux. Two things that rarely get mentioned.
There is not any problem with tritium generation. As well as there are some solutions how to withstand neutron flux at commercially acceptable level.
Yes, aneutronic fusion not generating neutron flux is better but that is more difficult to realize. Till now we could not achieve breakeven even using much easier neutronic.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

palladin9479 wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
That's kind of like saying the NBA experts all state that basketball is the best sport. Tokamak's been "50 years away" for how long? It's turned into a bloated jobs program for scientists to pad out their careers.
50 years (may be even 60) is not so long period if to take into consideration that governments (including US Government) now accept the rules of oil era, which will be still actual 50 years from now.
So, about 100 years for development of fusion power is quite acceptable time period for all decision makers.
Recall also that at least initially fusion will not have any advantage in comparison with fission: no better power density, no lower cost of 1 kW*h, etc.
Fusion is promising power source for the future but will not make industrial revolution lowering energy cost in times or on order of magnitude. If anybody waits such revolution, that is false expectations.

I believe that NBA experts will say "basketball is the best" but there are not only TOKAMAK experts but reputable plasma physicists and also experts of planing of research financing. DOE or other very reputable organizations are not like NBA experts but they are like to Department of Sport or Department of Health.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

thread closed plz.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Robthebob wrote:thread closed plz.
OK. The thread is closed.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

sorry, whenever joe posts things in a thread, the thread just need to be put down, for everyone's sake.

You wouldnt let someone suffer this much in real life.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Robthebob wrote:sorry, whenever joe posts things in a thread, the thread just need to be put down, for everyone's sake.

You wouldnt let someone suffer this much in real life.
Sure I would. It amuses me. Perverted soul that I am.