White House announces new US open access policy

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ANTIcarrot

White House announces new US open access policy

Post by ANTIcarrot »

In a long-awaited leap forward for open access, the US government said today that publications from taxpayer-funded research should be made free to read after a year’s delay – expanding a policy which until now has only applied to biomedical science.
http://blogs.nature.com/news/2013/02/us ... olicy.html

Good news everybody! The research from polywell will be free to read and free to all, which means us lot, exactly one year after they get around to actually publishing anything.
Some light reading material: Half Way To Anywhere, The Rocket Company, Space Technology, The High Fronter, Of Wolves And Men, Light On Shattered Water, The Ultimate Weapon, any Janes Guide, GURPS Bio-Tech, ALIENS Technical Manual, The God Delusion.

hanelyp

Re: White House announces new US open access policy

Post by hanelyp »

I expect that only applies to reports published in journals, not classified internal reports.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Asterix

Re: White House announces new US open access policy

Post by Asterix »

It'll probably be a cold day in Hades before any of the professional societies will open their journals for free to make NSF, DoD, NIH...funded papers available to the general unwashed. Heck, even if you're a member of such an organization, you'll get charged if the article that you'd like to see is outside of your interest area. I'm a member of IEEE and found an article that I wanted to read from an IEEE journal that I don't subscribe to. I could download said 2-page article article for $35. Heckuva deal.