Lockheed Martin Skunkworks - Compact Fusion

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kcdodd

Re: Lockheed Martin Skunkworks - Compact Fusion

Post by kcdodd »

He made it a point to say that part of a tokamak field is generated by the plasma, while theirs... idk? He also made a bigger point on the good curvature. So, i don't think he would say that if it was FRC, which has a field generated by the plasma with just as much bad curvature.
Carter

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

But FRCs can potentially also be operated with high beta...

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

Ok, but what about the points I made?
Carter

choff

Post by choff »

The photo shows what looks like a polywell coil viewed through a port, maybe this is the 4 year blackbox polywell program that was speculated on after WB7/7.1. The explanation provided is bafflegab to keep rival countries on the wrong path trying to copy.
CHoff

glemieux

Post by glemieux »

choff wrote:The photo shows what looks like a polywell coil viewed through a port, maybe this is the 4 year blackbox polywell program that was speculated on after WB7/7.1. The explanation provided is bafflegab to keep rival countries on the wrong path trying to copy.
This plus the paper I posted earlier has me hoping it is indeed an IEC fusion method...

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I finally got around to watching the video.
It really does smack of Polywell like approach.
The way he described the field curvatures, and the point he returned to regarding higher field as you moved away from the center of the plasma, or as the plasma expands it encounters more field strength. It sounds like Polywell. Event the reiterated point about high Beta, and its context of description.

Makes me wonder if given a lack of patent, they are scooping EMC2.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

choff wrote:The photo shows what looks like a polywell coil viewed through a port, maybe this is the 4 year blackbox polywell program that was speculated on after WB7/7.1. The explanation provided is bafflegab to keep rival countries on the wrong path trying to copy.
I will warn the brazilian nuclear agency about this bluff attempt!

choff

Post by choff »

Given the timeline, this could be an intermediate breakeven attempt design between WB7 and a 100MW prototype commercial reactor. Bussard mentioned polywell could be cylindrical as well as spherical. My speculative guess is the gas you see in the picture is newly created helium flowing from the core past the coil to the wall after a test shot. It could be interservice rival design with the Navy, or competing company because EMC2 couldn't get the patent, Skunkworks are perfect for blackbox program management. Makes me wonder if they've been working on a full scale black box 100MW program as well since WB8.
CHoff

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

You do realize that if you take an icosidodecahedron MaGrid and cut it along its equator, you can stick in rings of square planform magnets and generate a cylindrical shape with hemispherical ends. I am wondering if they are basically just stealing EMC2's thunder?

choff

Post by choff »

If there's any interservice rivalry then EMC2 might feel impelled to make it's own announcement so as not to be outdone.
CHoff

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

ladajo wrote:I finally got around to watching the video.
It really does smack of Polywell like approach.
The way he described the field curvatures, and the point he returned to regarding higher field as you moved away from the center of the plasma, or as the plasma expands it encounters more field strength. It sounds like Polywell. Event the reiterated point about high Beta, and its context of description.

Makes me wonder if given a lack of patent, they are scooping EMC2.
Those were my thoughts, it sounds exactly like a Polywell. Design a drop in DT device for thermo plant retrofit (utilities would love being able to use existing plant infrastructure and capital / regulatory structure) then tackle boron at a later date for new plants. A lot easier to market to utilities, easier for corporate guys to wrap their heads around.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Is it possible that instead of the electric field being used to generate the ion radial collision velocity, that they are heating the plasma with microwave power? If they are using a heating method such as microwave heating, would pB11 fuel be possible?
Last edited by mvanwink5 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

quixote

Post by quixote »

If anyone's interested I can post the transcription I had my phone do of the latter 2/3 of the video. It's unfortunately not super accurate, nor does it have punctuation, but it's something.

glemieux

Post by glemieux »

mvanwink5 wrote:Is it possible that instead of the electric field being used to generate the ion radial collision velocity, that they are heating the plasma with microwave power? If they are using a heating method such as microwave heating, would pB11 fuel be possible?
Didn't be state they're using RF to heat the plasma?
UPDATE: At 8:07 into talk he states this.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes, they said they are using RF. It sounded more like a part of the stability testing than functioning unit. But, to be fair, EMC2 has also played with RF, but not as a primary heating source as I recall. They were using it for ECF.

This thing really does smell like a Polywell or Polywell variant.

Hmmm.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)