Lockheed Martin Skunkworks - Compact Fusion

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: Lockheed Martin Skunkworks - Compact Fusion

Post by ladajo »

paperburn1 wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:
ladajo wrote:That does not seem to look anything like what was shown in the TED talk.
Its not, that's plan two.
they drop little cans of aluminum, full fusion-able material and crush them in a controlled way to make a pulse of energy. I will see if I can find the references.
or as they put it ,known as “magnetized liner inertialfusion,” or MagLIF. MagLIF crushes a fuel pellet to achieve fusion energy, as withinertial confnement fusion. However, instead of using lasers, it uses a magneticpulse, as with magnetic confnement fusion. The hybrid approach, researchers believe, will allow them to achieve net energy gain by the end of 2013

Thanks, standing by for the link(s).

Still makes me wonder what they were trying to show at TED.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

https://share.sandia.gov/news/resources ... gy-output/
I had a link to a paper but I can not find it.
This should give ya a start and if I get feeling better I will keep looking.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

This looks very different from the TED talk and I dont think that this has any potential for terretrial use, very much for the reasons that MSimon mentioned.
My thought was that they would be using something like a levitating dipole.
I just cant see any type of fusion reactor being economical that requires some sort of metal canister that has to be produced and transported arround, filled with tritium and deuterium and so on. It just does not make sense and it does not match the description of their small system.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Skipjack wrote:This looks very different from the TED talk and I dont think that this has any potential for terretrial use, very much for the reasons that MSimon mentioned.
OK just to clarify we have two different devices here. One is the ted talk device which we have almost no information on. I wish I could find out more but right now there seem to be no information that I can access. The second device is the one pictured(known as “magnetized liner inertialfusion,” or MagLIF. MagLIF) and I do not think is net power but a simulation.
The process relies upon a single, relatively low-powered laser to preheat a deuterium-tritium gas mixture that sits within a small liner.
At the top and bottom of the liner are two slightly larger coils that, when electrically powered, create a joined vertical magnetic field that penetrates into the liner, reducing energy loss from charged particles attempting to escape through the liner’s walls.
An extremely strong magnetic field is created on the surface of the liner by a separate, very powerful electrical current, generated by a pulsed power accelerator such as Z. The force of this huge magnetic field pushes the liner inward to a fraction of its original diameter. It also compresses the magnetic field emanating from the coils. The combination is powerful enough to force atoms of gaseous fuel into intimate contact with each other, fusing them.
So we need to decide which one were talking about or confusion is going to abound.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

If this involves aluminum cans, it could be the beer complement to the burger machine.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

DeltaV wrote:If this involves aluminum cans, it could be the beer complement to the burger machine.
Your right! its all about the barbecue 8) !

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

paperburn1 wrote: OK just to clarify we have two different devices here. One is the ted talk device which we have almost no information on. I wish I could find out more but right now there seem to be no information that I can access. The second device is the one pictured(known as “magnetized liner inertialfusion,” or MagLIF. MagLIF) and I do not think is net power but a simulation.
The process relies upon a single, relatively low-powered laser to preheat a deuterium-tritium gas mixture that sits within a small liner.
At the top and bottom of the liner are two slightly larger coils that, when electrically powered, create a joined vertical magnetic field that penetrates into the liner, reducing energy loss from charged particles attempting to escape through the liner’s walls.
An extremely strong magnetic field is created on the surface of the liner by a separate, very powerful electrical current, generated by a pulsed power accelerator such as Z. The force of this huge magnetic field pushes the liner inward to a fraction of its original diameter. It also compresses the magnetic field emanating from the coils. The combination is powerful enough to force atoms of gaseous fuel into intimate contact with each other, fusing them.
So we need to decide which one were talking about or confusion is going to abound.
Ahh, OK. Well I sure hope that the LM device is NOT the magnetized liner inertial device. That device might have military applications and maybe even applications in space propulsion (the aluminium liner acting as additioal mass for the exhaust, increasing the thrust), but I just cant see it resulting in an economical fusion reactor for terrestrial applications. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I wished one of the so called reporters that have been writing articles about this would have taken the time to actually follow up with LM on this, instead of just regurgitating what everybody else has written before. The quality of technical reporting has come down to quoting press releases these days without any form of critical journalism whatsoever. Shame!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

paperburn1 wrote:https://share.sandia.gov/news/resources ... gy-output/
I had a link to a paper but I can not find it.
This should give ya a start and if I get feeling better I will keep looking.
I guess that I misunderstood. I thought that it was a photo of the Skunkworks gear.

It would seem that Skunkworks is keeping a solid lid on what they are actually up to.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Nydoc

Post by Nydoc »

ladajo wrote:Skunkworks is keeping a solid lid on what they are actually up to.
Why am I not surprised... :wink:

glemieux

Post by glemieux »

I wonder if this program has access to LM's DWave...

http://www.pppl.gov/events/adiabatic-qu ... d-wave-one

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

http://ssl.mit.edu/research/Fusion.html
Thomas McGuire seems to have been working on IEC fusion in the past...
Hmmm..