The Electric Decennoctirotor (or Decennovirotor)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote: I am inclined to apply my general rule: Too many moving parts creates too many problems to manage.
Which is safer, eighteen rotors with one moving part each or one rotor with 58 moving parts? Loose 4 parts in the first case and you are probably still flying. Loose 4 in the second and it is auger time. Just a thought.

Post by 303 »

hmm, but wont 18 rotors have 18 gearboxes, 18 shafts, xx bolts etc

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

A typical quadrotor is also free of the weird rotor interaction on a typical helicopter. The point is that the blades are simple propellers and don't need the continuously changing pitch. Thus the control system should be much friendlier.
If they are not pitch control then that will severely limit performance.

That still does not address interference. Even Quadrotors are comparitively widely seperated, as well as perform better when shrouded.

I am not sure what you are arguing. I am not saying it will not fly. I am saying it does not really benefit, and its operating envelop may well be largely restrictive when compared to conventional in use systems. Simpler is better for a reason. This thing is not simple.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

Sometimes achieving desirable properties in a complex environment requires complexity. On the other hand, a single rotor directly driven (or single-gear) by an electric motor is pretty much as simple as it gets. Arranging 18 of those in a symmetrical pattern is hardly the pinnacle of complexity.

Sure there will be interference, but whether that's a manageable problem or a deal-breaker will have to be tested with a prototype.

One benefit of small rotors is faster response time when dynamically adjusting thrust/torque. That enables better stability and maneuverability (with the right sensors and software).

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Carter

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

DeltaV wrote:Hitting a tree with a blade is not necessarily fatal (I like ducted fans better in this regard).
Ducted fans are also quieter and more efficient, and NASA has a nifty fan design with a superconducting motor built into the ducting. All primed and waiting for a useful size electrical power source.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

KitemanSA

Re:

Post by KitemanSA »

paperburn1 wrote:
ladajo wrote: I am inclined to apply my general rule: Too many moving parts creates too many problems to manage.
!"
I work in the aviation field and simpler is always better.
But redundancy is always appreciated.

GIThruster

Re: The Electric Decennoctirotor (or Decennovirotor)

Post by GIThruster »

Fun but still, one wonders what they think it's good for. It can't possibly have a useful range. It's not great to be green when you're useless.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I understand it can break down int a small package and be easily reassembled later.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

For VTOL safety, at least eight is great.

Moller Autovolantor

Zee.Aero